Gringo

Taxidermist

Being new to Arizona, I don't know any Taxidermists, but I hope to need one this year!   Can you guys give me some recommendations for a really talented Taxidermist?

Not looking for cheap, or quick.  I prefer to work with someone that puts out really quality work.

Thanks!

Chris

I know several great ones. Some definitely specialize, and are exceptional at specific animals, while others excel at others. Anything in particular you are looking to have done?

Also, keep in mind, a bigger name/highly reputable guy might cost a little more. But this site is littered with posts of guys who had stuff ruined, money lost, etc. by small guys who closed up shop and vanished, or ruined stuff.

My votes for the top all around guys would go to:

• Clay Goldman at Mogollon Taxidermy, (Payson, AZ), Fantastic all around taxidermy. IMO, the best deer and elk guy in the state. Only person I am aware of in the state who has the machine to do velvet antlers in house (legit machinery, not injecting of sticking in a freezer for a LONG time). He is currently doing my bull from this past fall.
  • Dale Robertson at Wild Heritage Taxidermy, (Young, AZ), I don't think he is taking new clients at this time. Fantastic all around taxidermy, but he is the best lion and cat guy in the business. I haven't seen ANYONE in the country who can consistently do the quality cat work Dale does.
  • Richard Owens at Hunter's Lair Taxidermy, (Show Low, AZ), Great all around taxidermist and is currently doing my son's bull you see in my avatar picture.

For birds, I recommend:

• Kyle Thorn at Cut-N-Strut Taxidermy, (Surprise, AZ), He used to do all birds, but is trying to focus solely on turkeys these days. He competes with the birds he works on and wins a lot of awards.
  • Sven Eberson Wildlife Wings and Design Taxidermy, (Glendale, AZ).

Skull cleaning and Euros:

• Draysen Hatch at Great Hunter Skullz, (Queen Creek, AZ), I am highly biased here (he is my son and I taught him), but I don't think anyone does a cleaner and whiter skull, and I have seen a lot.

There are, of course, many other great ones in the state. I am by no means knocking any others. But I have seen first hand and done business with all of these guys. I have always been extremely impressed with everything I have seen done by them, and could provide personal photos from my family's collection from each of the above mentioned.

• Like 3

+1 for Clay Goldman.  Can’t go wrong with him.  You can go wrong with a lot of taxidermists in AZ though so be careful.  

• Like 2

You should also ask who NOT to take your animals to!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gringo said:

Being new to Arizona, I don't know any Taxidermists, but I hope to need one this year!   Can you guys give me some recommendations for a really talented Taxidermist?

Not looking for cheap, or quick.  I prefer to work with someone that puts out really quality work.

Thanks!

Chris

Where do you live? Would help getting you someone in your area.

• Like 1

Nothing against other site sponsors. But - Clay, Clay, Clay at Mogollon if you want the best mount and value. 

• Like 3

A Head of the Game Taxidermy.  I have known Mike Vacarro for over 30 years and he does a great job.  He has done all of our mounts and one more on the way.  I wouldn’t go anywhere else.  

Feel free to contact me with any questions you have.  

https://maps.apple.com/?address=9487 W Camino De Oro, Peoria, AZ 85383, United States&auid=8510924934373958958&ll=33.697772,-112.263430&lsp=9902&q=A Head of the Game Taxidermy&_ext=ChoKBQgEEOIBCgQIBRADCgUIBhDfAQoECAoQABImKdYbEG292EBAMTjNPH00EVzAOVTxNcnj2UBAQUyXxJWDEFzAUAM%3D

5B7BC6A0-F4FC-4130-BEE3-A450F1237E1C.jpeg

Mogollon taxidermy is awesome! I have used another reputable taxidermy in Tucson area but the way I was treated didn’t matter how good there work was so I will always use mogollon not only quality but how I’m treated ! 

Appreciate the referrals!  There's definitely a pattern with the references.

I'm in the North Valley, but I don't mind driving, considering getting mounts done is a long term deal.