knothead

How are Spring hunts going so far?

How have the birds been doing during 2nd hunt?  Any gobbles?

4 minutes ago, knothead said:

How have the birds been doing during 2nd hunt?  Any gobbles?

Where I am in 6A there is lots of gobbling but I heard in 5B there wasnt any.  Ive seen turkey almost every morning.

Was only able to go for just 2 days in 27.  Saw one hen and no gobbles.  Tons of elk and mule deer though! 

tons of road hunters out there too...

Got lucky and got my bird on the 2nd day in 3C.  There's more water this year which means little potholes tucked away in draws and canyons, which turkeys prefer.  I wasn't seeing birds in the normal places, they're not going near tanks.

On Friday's opening, my truck broke down on me while heading out into unit 8 at 4am.  I was able to get out on Monday, but discovered unit 8 swamped with campers.  I didn't see or hear any on Monday. I discovered some birds on Tuesday, but all silent.  Things were silent on Wednesday and the temps went up fast and I Left.  I decided to skip Thursday due to the heat, but it the temps cooled down and I kicked myself.   

Missed out on the youth hunt in 27 this year and didn’t have a tag myself. My buddy and his kid both tagged out Gould’s this weekend. 

On 4/27/2020 at 8:45 AM, 6AYoteHunter said:

Opening day called in a large group all henned up in 6A. Saturday found some hens being chased by a very thin coyote. Yesterday found a tom. It was having difficulty gobbling which was odd. Sounded sick. Wouldn't come into call. Later found some hens looking for place to lay eggs. Friend sent me a picture of a hen just laying on Fossil Creek road. Took awhile for it to move. Spent 4 hours last night and an hour this AM trying to locate birds. Noticed almost no owls and had zero gobbles. In the last 20 years hunting 6A turkeys never have went more than 30 minutes at night without locating. Something strange is going on. Have noticed way fewer song birds this year also. Heard there was some dead song birds down by Fossil Creek. 2 weeks ago had a fox die at my place and tried to convince game and fish to come test it. Neighbors found a dead one 5 weeks ago. Also finding lots of dead chipmunks and mice. Maybe this is the year of pandemics for a lot of species. 

The canal by house in Queen Creek is littered with dead sparrows, doves and other various birds.....lots of them. 

1 hour ago, fobshooter said:

Got my tom Sunday in 35a. IMG_2894.thumb.jpg.f098dc22f4b8503a9ea99d1cceb89dcb.jpg

IMG_2891.jpg

Nice tag! Are the feathers missing or is it just the picture? If they’re missing I know a roost you might be able to replace them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Nice tag! Are the feathers missing or is it just the picture? If they’re missing I know a roost you might be able to replace 

PM sent

23 hours ago, jknister said:

Where I am in 6A there is lots of gobbling but I heard in 5B there wasnt any.  Ive seen turkey almost every morning.

I'll be in 6a this afternoon and for the next few days chasing them!

On 5/5/2020 at 8:49 AM, jknister said:

What part of 6A are you in?

Near Mormon Mountain... Had 2 birds gobbling yesterday afternoon, and went over the hill to close the distance and ended up about 40 yards from a black bear milling around. Seemed like an eternity staring down each other, but we both decided it’s best if we go our separate ways.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

27 minutes ago, Slack40 said:

Near Mormon Mountain... Had 2 birds gobbling yesterday afternoon, and went over the hill to close the distance and ended up about 40 yards from a black bear milling around. Seemed like an eternity staring down each other, but we both decided it’s best if we go our separate ways.

Thats pretty crazy.  In twenty years running around in the wilderness Ive only seen one bear, at 1000 yards give or take.