knothead

How are Spring hunts going so far?

7 minutes ago, jknister said:

Thats pretty crazy.  In twenty years running around in the wilderness Ive only seen one bear, at 1000 yards give or take.

I've had them on camera before, but this was way too close for comfort, my initial thought was please don't let any cubs be around! But, I'll be back out the next 2 days, and hopefully tag a bird.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jknister said:

Thats pretty crazy.  In twenty years running around in the wilderness Ive only seen one bear, at 1000 yards give or take.

I’ve only seen them on turkey hunts. LoL

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 5:31 PM, fobshooter said:

Got my tom Sunday in 35a. IMG_2894.thumb.jpg.f098dc22f4b8503a9ea99d1cceb89dcb.jpg

IMG_2891.jpg

You the guy Adam referred to I'm guessing.

• Like 1

Spent the opening weekend up in 5b. Heard gobbles all day Thursday and gobbles Friday and Saturday mornings. My calling ability is nonexistent so I couldn't convince the toms to get any closer than a few hundred yards. I did see about a dozen hens.

Currently I'm switching up my strategy and sitting water at a tank off the beaten path that has somewhat recent turkey tracks. Nothing came in last night. I've been sitting in a ground blind since 445am and nothing has come in to water. No gobbles heard at all this morning.

Had one bird gobbling around 8am this morning, waited it out until a little after 11am, then decided it’s time to get home and put ribs on the smoker. 

Back at it manana! 

20 hours ago, fobshooter said:

Yes sir I am.  

If you head out looking I know another roost that's different then the one md33 mentioned. Pine donkey said he's a friend of yours, I texted him the location. 

• Like 1

I'll be heading into 6A tonight, sleeping in the truck and hunt the morning and head home.  They were gobbling last Saturday so hopefully they still will be.

Slow year, 4 gobblers in unit 1 , no bites at big lake

13 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Slow year, 4 gobblers in unit 1 , no bites at big lake

+1 about Big Lake.  We fished it 2 weeks ago from the shore for 2 days.  Not a single bit for us or anyone we talked to.  Watched boat after boat come in, they to were getting skunked.  Except for one boat angler, who was parked just beyond our casting reach.  I watched him reel in 3 nice ones in 60m midday.  He was fishing off the bottom.  Not sure what's going on there.

Any gobbles these last few days or are the turkeys pretty much done?  Did the Flagstaff area get any rain yesterday?

56 minutes ago, knothead said:

Any gobbles these last few days or are the turkeys pretty much done?  Did the Flagstaff area get any rain yesterday?

Gobbling this weekend, pretty steady rain overnight here in Flagstaff. Alarm went off at 3:30 to get up and head out, still raining so got a few more hours of sleep. 

Just talked to a friend that was in unit 1 last week M-F.  He did not see or hear a single bird.  He sometimes sleeps late and moves pretty slow so I am not sure how reliable the source is.

Any reports over the last week for Merriams?