Deserthunter1

5B South

I have been fortunate to pull a 5B South archery elk tag. I have never hunted the unit before but am going to get up there to scout this summer and into the hunt. I was hoping to get a few questions answered by some who have had this hunt before to help me gain knowledge of the unit for my scouting trips and hunt. How are the roads in the unit? Are they usually in pretty good shape? I plan on focusing in the pines of the unit. Another question I had was is it a pretty decent rutting unit? Thanks for any info your willing to share.

First and foremost congrats on the tag. The pushed backed dates on this years hunt is IMO going to be an epic rut hunt. 5bs is a fun hunt with alot of rut action. I’ve killed (3) bulls out of that unit. Hardest thing will be passing all the 260-300” type bulls to get to the better ones. It’s a flat lander unit with great road access. Roads will get pretty muddy if it rains. Also remember certain roads are closed to all vehicles in there.

Good luck.

• Like 3

The roads can be a nightmare if it rains alot. I take chains and have needed them. This was in the 93 in 2013. I did have a rhino in the back and pulling a tent trailer that you can't see in the pic but the roads can be a sloppy mess.

001 (2).JPG

nephew has the muzzle loader tag, can't wait , even gonna give up first week of my 6a hunt. Love the rut in this unit.

Quality of the roads varies a LOT.  There are some crazy rocky, rough roads that will beat up you and your vehicle pretty good.  But there are plenty of others that aren't bad at all.  Just depends on where you want to get to.

On 4/30/2020 at 5:07 PM, Mr. Natural said:

Quality of the roads varies a LOT.  There are some crazy rocky, rough roads that will beat up you and your vehicle pretty good.  But there are plenty of others that aren't bad at all.  Just depends on where you want to get to.

Oh I remember the joys on road 82..9716b..wishing I had a quad.

some areas could be rocky and rough and others can be easy. As far as the rutting activity goes  you should have no problem finding elk. The rut activity for my hunt was very good we could hear elk every morning  I ended up hitting one but was not able to recover him. Heartbroken I cashed in 13 points for the hunt.

I hate the roads in that unit almost as much as 6A.  Even in my Ranger, they are rocky and bumpy on the secondary roads. Mud wasnt a problem in the sxs, but the freaking boulder fields that pass as roads suck.  Main roads are great.  

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 10:22 AM, Jazz said:

Oh I remember the joys on road 82..9716b..wishing I had a quad.

Hahaha the good ole 82!!!  I think I still piss blood from my last hunt in there 10 years ago....lol

I have the same tag, Killed a nice bull in there in 2017. I'm a bit concerned what the muzzleloader hunt will do to the elk since it's the week before. That being said, roads suck!!!