azkid

Push Tanks - Where to set the camera

Hey all,

I figured I could get some good input from the forum regarding the best place to set a trail camera. The area I want to hunt this year has a lot of push tanks, but it is also fairly accessible with roads. I've had quite a few cameras stolen in the past, so I'm hesitant to put them right on the water. I've thought of a couple of good places to put them:

1. Saddles within 200-400 yds of the water that lead to north facing bedding areas

2. Trails leading further down the canyon or cut that the push tank is in.

3. Establish salt licks within 200-400 yds of the water that they will use to and from the tank.

Opinions on these alternatives? If there are other places around water that you have had success getting bucks patterned without cameras being stolen please share. Thanks!

Salt licks work well.  Sooner you get them out, the better.  Improve trail, both coming in and leaving the cam sight.  Bull elk will use the improved trail leading them into your cam.  

Those are all solid plans.  Yes stay away from water, lock boxes and locks only stop the honest people, to tempting IMO.  I ran 8 cameras last year for my elk hunt.  None were over water, but it was nearby.  The bulls and bucks found my salt within days.  Locate any trails in or out, and establish your brown salt lick just off the trail.  Pinch points are also great locations.  If cattle are in the area, forget about salt and cameras, find another spot.  Moo cows will destroy it.