MrMogollon

Block Units - Cow Elk Hunt

I picked up a cow tag in the leftover/first come draw for the block units  - great opportunity to fill the freezer! Since picking up the tag, I've done hours of research and escouting, and drove up north past Chino Valley to check out a few spots that I'd found on OnX. Nothing but ancient elk sign. I've talked to the ORO Ranch (access already given to youth hunters👍) and a few local caballeros I met on my early scouting mission, who said they'd keep an eye out for me.

The problem for me so far is that there is SO much country to explore with this tag, I'm having a hard time figuring out where to focus my energy. That being said, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to point me in the right direction. I'm not looking for anyone's secret spot, but tips and pointers for the area would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to respond below or PM me to keep anonymity.

Appreciate any help that you can share and good luck to everyone on the upcoming deer/sheep/bison draw!

• Like 1

When I had that tag the only elk I could find in 17A were in the Juniper Mesa Wilderness right on top of the mountain. I have seen a ton of elk in 18B though.

• Like 1

Dats slot of A's and B's.    dad used to have good luck by Ashfork above Chino

• Like 1

, they give you a whole month to hunt. Keep drivin around during rutting season ! Bound to see someone with an elk down.

plus if you see where they camp, good indiction elk around, check tanks  springs in that general area 

someone mentioned deer tank by campwoods

• Like 1

16 hours ago, elkaholic said:

, they give you a whole month to hunt. Keep drivin around during rutting season ! Bound to see someone with an elk down.

plus if you see where they camp, good indiction elk around, check tanks  springs in that general area 

someone mentioned deer tank by campwoods

Red Tank in the early hunt was always a good spot. Don’t overlook Goodwin/Bozarth Mesa. I saw 3 herds in one morning while scouting for an antelope hunt. One herd had 19 elk in it. Also have seen elk in Burro Creek and upper antelope tank. The area around the 7 Up sometimes has decent elk numbers

Thank you all for the info! I'm going to do some more e-scouting in the areas mentioned, and will make a few trips to drop cameras. Will keep you posted!

Thanks to everyone who shared advice and insight.

Got it done Saturday after hunting hard for two days! Likely wouldn’t have been able to put meat in the freezer without y’all’s help. 

C6F58EAB-1C00-4A47-BF5F-0A7280EFC9C7.jpeg

• Like 13