Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

20B December Rifle Mule Deer

I have enough points to guarantee this late rifle mule deer tag. Anyone have any insight to the unit? I'm considering drawing the tag and transferring to my 10 year old for his first hunt. Never hunted 20B as I prefer other units east of that, but I wanted to get others opinion on this unit.  I want to burn my points on one of these late rifle tags, I'm not sure about 20B. My thinking is 17b has archery hunters as does 27. I see 7 is a new December hunt this year but I also don't know that unit. I have read the info on the G & F website, been searching the forums etc. Not looking for areas, just curious on others opinion of 20B. Thanks

There are good bucks in 20B but you have to look.  Archery hunters were definitely a factor last year.  On this hunt you will face them every day being so close to the valley and expect them to blow a deer or two you are looking at.  I did the same for my son last year giving him my December 20b tag and was out archery hunting the day after he killed in 20b along with multiple days after that.  

I know 20b well from pig hunting every year, so that is why I put in for the unit.  It can be tough with all the Jeep and atv traffic.  I would prefer 21 but 20b worked out.   

I know 17b we’ll also and put in for that unit as well.  There are some big bucks in there and not near as much traffic, which makes it nice.  For this unit you trade drive time for less atv and Jeep traffic, along with less archery hunters.  

Either unit has opportunity, you just have to wait for the bucks to start moving.  

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.  

• Like 1

If the tag is getting transferred to to your kid pm me and I’ll give you some good places to start look. Hunted 20b for years and found a stud last archery season. 

• Like 2

You need like -2 points to draw this hunt, please pick a better hunt, even 21..

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, wildwoody said:

You need like -2 points to draw this hunt, please pick a better hunt, even 21..

(5) people with 9pts put in for 20b late rifle tag last year. (4) people drew in the bonus rd. 21 does not have a dec hunt anymore. They moved it to 20b last year. 21 is on the decline for big Muleys while 20b is in its prime. The 20b dec Hunt is more of a pre rut hunt until after Christmas. Jan is when they rut hard in there.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, CouesFanatic said:

I have enough points to guarantee this late rifle mule deer tag. Anyone have any insight to the unit? I'm considering drawing the tag and transferring to my 10 year old for his first hunt. Never hunted 20B as I prefer other units east of that, but I wanted to get others opinion on this unit. I normally spend more time in the 21,22,23, 24's. I want to burn my points on one of these late rifle tags, I'm not sure about 20B. My thinking is 17b has archery hunters as does 27. I see 7 is a new December hunt this year but I also don't know that unit. I have read the info on the G & F website, been searching the forums etc. Not looking for areas, just curious on others opinion of 20B. Thanks

If you have 10+ points this year you will definitely be guaranteed a 20b tag. With the same points you can draw the Oct rifle kaibab tag which IMO is a better hunt.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, buckmaster21 said:

I'm going in with 8 points but also live close to 20b and hunt 20b alot I'm also throwing 21 December cuse on there 

If you do 20b first choice then 21 Coues 2nd choice u will automatically draw 21 Coues in the bonus pass. Be careful how u apply.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, buckmaster21 said:

Ok I want 21 first but with 8 points I don't think I'm still in the pass 

It’s 50/50 at 8pts. In 2017 and 2018 8pts guaranteed you a 21 Coues dec tag. Last year it took 9pts. It will really come down to who puts in this year. It may point creep up or it could drop back to 8pts.

• Like 1

Great hunt!  We did pretty good in there last year on that hunt.  Not sure I would burn that many points on it, but there are some good deer in there, you just need to do your homework.  Scouting will be key.  

4 hours ago, buckmaster21 said:

How many points do you have  just curious I'm thinking y putting in for this hunt as well 

I have 10 points. I have hunted the early Kaibab many times. I'd take a late December tag with 20 hunters in the unit over the early Kaibab fiasco with bullets flying over my head and people everywhere. Kaibab is cold for a 10 year old, the December hunt weather is perfect. I love the cape on these desert bucks as well. 

Lol on the cold. Was on this late hunt last year and we experience some of the coldest days hunting. You wouldn’t think that desert couldnt get that cold. As mentioned prior. You will see tons and I mean tons of atv and jeep traffic and target shooting.  Especially on Fridays though Sunday.  That area seems to be turning into the new glamis. Big rv camps. We ended up shooting two mature bucks on this late hunt and it was nice being close to home but with 10 points I would do another unit. Good bucks are there but it will be tough to pull out a 180 or better.   Good luck. 

• Like 1

Kaibab is a special place.  Great place to get a kid hooked on hunting IMO.