I am looking to do a build, and am wondering if people with the Proof Research Barrels feel they are really worth the $.  Also, in .284/7mm, what twist would you go with?  Seems like all but the largest will stabilize with 1 in 9 or 1 in 8.# … the 195s need a 1 in 8 (at some elevations/temps/speeds).  Is there a downside doing 1 in 8 for the smaller (140-150s) bullets?  I am doing either a 7RM or 28 Nosler … can't decide yet.  Action is setup for a 7RM now, and that may indeed be where I stay (unless I want to do the STW route).  Any advice on that?

IN case this helps with some of your questions.  I just got my first proof in 280AI. I'm mounting it up tonight. Anxious to get it out!  

• Like 1

I have a 1-8 7mm mag. I shoot the 180 hybrids and love them. I also shoot 162 Sst’s and they shoot lights out. I thought about shooting the 195’s, but don’t think I would gain much if I did. I do feel like the 195 would be great for the 28 nosler though. You can probably get away just fine with a 1-9 twist, but if it were me I would do 1-8 and never look back. I don’t know much about proof barrels or carbon wrapped in general because they are out of my price range. I did see that Bartlein barrels is offering carbon wrapped barrels now. 

• Like 1

Well yes and no depending on what you are trying to get done.    If you want a longer thicker barrel then the carbon will do a better job at a lighter weight.   If you are comfortable shooing a shorter steel barrel then you can get lighter with steel.    I personally shoot a shorter steel barrel.    I might give up a little velocity but my accuracy is spot on out to 1000 yards with a 22" barrel.   I shoot a #3 brux barrel and it does really good through a 10 shot string.   If you need to shoot more than that..........

In regards to your twist rate.   You need to figure out what bullet you want to shoot and then build the rifle around that bullet.    You can't shoot a really light bullet and a really heavy bullet out of the same barrel and expect match quality results from both.    My advice would be to set the gun up for the longest and heaviest bullet you can.   Typically you will use that bullet at the longest ranges and having the greatest accuracy with that bullet will make the most sense.   

When you chamber a barrel you will need to know the bullet so you can decide where you want the bullet to sit in the brass.   Then you will be able to determine where you want to set the lands when you are having the chamber job completed.   Typically when I chamber a barrel normally I will design it to be used with a grain weight of bullet and that is about it.   So I might be able to use the 140 grain bergers, 143, 147 grain ELD's, I40 grain Nosler BT or AB, ect.   I could shoot a much shorter and lighter bullet but it won't be sitting close to the lands like the longer, heavier bullets.   The lighter bullets will probably shoot OK but they won't be match quality like you will probably want out of the gun.   

So the moral of the story.    Pick a bullet weight (probably the heaviest) and design the gun around that bullet.  

Great information "recurveman".  Thanks for the input.

Shoot the 195's!  I have a custom rifle with a Proof barrel set up for the 195's and it is the most accurate rifle I own.  I have 5 custom/semi-custom rifles but the 7mmRM, proof, 195 combo seems to be something special.