Sign in to follow this  
AZDirtyTaco

Talk me out of this

On 5/12/2020 at 5:34 AM, lancetkenyon said:

.300WM MPR is 8.4lbs bare rifle.  Add rings, scope, level, and you are going to be over 10lbs easily, maybe closer to 10.5lbs.  Not your typical "pack rifle" weight range.  Not a beast by any means compared to others.

Your thread is "talk me out of it".  Been tons of suggestions and reasons why you might consider other options.  Maybe you should have left the "talk me out of it" part out of the title, and called it "I am getting this rifle".

Been a while since I looked back at this thread. Again, I'll say thank you for the input.

Perhaps you missed my multiple responses that advised this MPR is going to be my lightest rifle to date. Weight is not my concern and I'm not trying to build a "lightweight" rifle (by your standards) which seems to be what a lot of the replies have been stuck on, including yours. Not sure how else to put it.

What I feel like I failed to adequately iterate and was lost on some, is that I was looking for suggestions that were comparable to what my intended build was going to be.  If I asked you what your opinion is on the most reliable mid-sized truck and you gave me nothing but information on diesels, would you say that your responses were helpful or actually answering the question? Common man...  Don't respond to the thread and act like a prick if you aren't going to read. I don't care how much you know about optics, reloading, ballistics, etc...  

Anywho. Certainly didn't intend to offend you (till now) or anyone else for that matter. I was just looking for some conversation and other considerations from an informed group. Thanks for the input.

Thanks to all the replies that were helpful and for those that took into consideration what I was looking for. Thanks azelhunter for turning me on to the VX6 and thanks to Azlance for saving me a few bucks by going with the Seekins over Nightforce on the rings. I've ended up with 11.4lb soup to nuts as seen and have just run my 1st 20rds of plinkers to begin the barrel break-in process.  I'm pretty happy with a .875" group to start things out and expect to see that number shrink considerably. My largest group was my first group at 1.25" after a rough zero and all others were just shy of the 1" mark.  Nothing to brag about, but a good starting point considering the ammo used and while working off of a casual shooting platform of a fold-out table, Coleman chair, bi-pod and bean bag.

There were a number of other considerations thrown out there that took up more time researching than I care to admit and I did a deep dive into all of them.  Again, thank you all for chiming in and adding your .02 - much appreciated.

CA MPR .300WM / Leupold VX6HD 4-24x52 / Seekins MX 34mm mount / Magpul bi-pod / SilencerCo ASR muzzle break

20200716_190419.jpg

20200717_084605.jpg

• Like 3