So I hunted unit 33 for Mule deer last year and got a buck. I’m thinking of trying for coues in the same unit. I’ve got some ideas  of spots, but I know the unit gets hit hard with hunters. In the early August otc hunt should I find a tank and sit water? Or spot and stalk.  I’m trying to get ahead start this year. I’ve glassed a couple other units and haven’t found many deer. 

One of my favorite posters!

There are some posts on this I would do some searches.  

Being said, you will get lots of varying responses. I hate sitting all day, it's brutal especially when its hot out.  If you are gonna sit water I suggest you find a spring or seep well off the beaten path and establish a mineral site right next to it and set a cam.  As far as where to set a cam, there's also threads here about that.  Your upside is you are young and still have the drive to hike endless miles. Get out there kid!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I just sorta go out back and hunt....

I can’t tell if this is hinting at something.lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

One of my favorite posters!

There are some posts on this I would do some searches.  

Being said, you will get lots of varying responses. I hate sitting all day, it's brutal especially when its hot out.  If you are gonna sit water I suggest you find a spring or seep well off the beaten path and establish a mineral site right next to it and set a cam.  As far as where to set a cam, there's also threads here about that.  Your upside is you are young and still have the drive to hike endless miles. Get out there kid!

Ok thanks I’ll get on onX and find some springs hopefully

In August I usually sit from 9am to 3pm... usually 8-10 deer a day at my salt licks. I hate sitting water...to many people at water sources.

2 minutes ago, AZLance said:

In August I usually sit from 9am to 3pm... usually 8-10 deer a day at my salt licks. I hate sitting water...to many people at water sources.

Okay good to know. Do you just put the salt licks out anywhere or is there a method to it?

7 minutes ago, AZLance said:

dang i thought that was my secret.  water or salt.

Just now, AZLance said:

There is a method to it.

I was thinking I find a spot that’s fairly open and near a water source (1 or 2) miles away, and put the salt licks down. Would that work or? I’ve never thought about using salt licks before. And how do they find them? Smell?

Get the bags of brown loose salt and dig a hole and mix it in with the soil. Water it in. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Get the bags of brown loose salt and dig a hole and mix it in with the soil. Water it in. 

Ok sounds good

Can't just throw salt down... you need to look for travel corridors, then look for a tree that you can hang a stand in or a place to hide a blind. You will need to consider wind and shade as to where you want to sit. Then go put your salt lick 25 yds away from spot you picked out.

Last August was my first time sitting early archery and it can be miserable. Just prepare yourself. 

Good advice in this thread. 

Can't wait to be miserable again this year! Woooo!

20 minutes ago, bigbuckclub said:

Last August was my first time sitting early archery and it can be miserable. Just prepare yourself. 

Good advice in this thread. 

Can't wait to be miserable again this year! Woooo!

HAha I’m definitely going to have to buy some short sleeve Camo. And wear shorts? Lol.  Spot and stalk could be worse though because hiking in the heat is terrible. Even last year In December I was dying of heat.