azsugarbear

Rules For Classifieds

Is there a set of rules for conduct when buying/selling in the classifieds?  I just did a cursory view on the site and couldn't find what I was looking for.  I recently had a deal go sideways with a newbie seller who didn't understand an "I'll take it" post in his thread.  Losing out on the deal was minor compared to the amount of time I wasted putting my schedule on hold (it meant a couple hour trip to pick it up from him) , waiting for him to respond to me.  When I told him how things normally work on the site, I wanted to refer him to some ground rules as to how we operate.  Do they exist, or is it something we have informally made up and others learn over time by being on the site?  I'm talking about such things as an "I'll take it" posting in a thread, or how a posting in the thread takes priority over a PM, etc.  Inquiring minds want to know......

• Like 1

An “I’ll take it” or a “pm” mean absolutely nothing until you exchange money for item. Ethics mean nothing, your word means nothing, and any quoted phrase means nothing until you actually buy the item. It sucks, feels wrong, and betrayal comes to mind but it is what it is. I’m sorry you had a bad experience but that’s how some people are these days. All you can do is be respectful on your end.

• Like 2

I can’t tell you how many times I have had a ( I’ll take it ) or a PM asking me to hold an item because they absolutely want it only to never hear back from the individual. He’ll I’ve had free stuff never get picked up...I personally will honor a I’ll take it for a few days...After that it’s back up....It’s almost as bad as Craigslist these days....

• Like 3

I have sold several items here over the years and with the exception of a couple of low ball smart arses that I ignored  most of the guys I have dealt with have been straight up. Some good people here.

Craigslist  is a completely different story

• Like 1

11 hours ago, azsugarbear said:

Is there a set of rules for conduct when buying/selling in the classifieds?  I just did a cursory view on the site and couldn't find what I was looking for.  I recently had a deal go sideways with a newbie seller who didn't understand an "I'll take it" post in his thread.  Losing out on the deal was minor compared to the amount of time I wasted putting my schedule on hold (it meant a couple hour trip to pick it up from him) , waiting for him to respond to me.  When I told him how things normally work on the site, I wanted to refer him to some ground rules as to how we operate.  Do they exist, or is it something we have informally made up and others learn over time by being on the site?  I'm talking about such things as an "I'll take it" posting in a thread, or how a posting in the thread takes priority over a PM, etc.  Inquiring minds want to know......

Susan

wow been on the net since Al Gore invented it and never heard that rule before. Maybe you can sue him for time you wasted? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's how things were explained to me when I joined ten years ago by other members.  I know I've seen it in writing, but it was probably the OP setting his own rules as to how he was going to sell something.  Not a big deal in this case (just some old reloading stuff), just thought it was a little more organized than it really is.  I guess I have been lucky thus far in my dealings on CWT.  All dealings have been straight up and honorable.  Thanks for the input.

I go by first guy to reach out to me.  Whether it is an I'll take it in the thread or a PM.  Whichever is time stamped first is the order I go in.  Do not think you have an item until you have "said item."  If a sale falls thru, BFD, on to the next guy or next item.  

• Like 2

What do you want for nothing?  This site is nothing but a billboard.  You want the sale/buy police to take care of you?  Let the buyer or seller beware.  Use that coconut on your shoulders for more than a hatrack.  😷

53 minutes ago, azsugarbear said:

That's how things were explained to me when I joined ten years ago by other members.  I know I've seen it in writing, but it was probably the OP setting his own rules as to how he was going to sell something.  Not a big deal in this case (just some old reloading stuff), just thought it was a little more organized than it really is.  I guess I have been lucky thus far in my dealings on CWT.  All dealings have been straight up and honorable.  Thanks for the input.

Susan thats because you were listening to Nancy's ;)

I am betting this is what happened.

seller gets email about PM items for sale and he sets it up. didnt even look at post. or he logged in and since the pm box is right next to log in he read the pm.

I highlighted the above quote cause it makes you sound like a whiny little bitch which is Straight up and Honorable for a Susan ;)

• Haha 1

If you’re selling something and one dude says I’ll take it, I’ll pick it up in a week. The you get a message after that from a dude saying I’ll take it I’ll pick it up now. Who you selling to 

10 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

If you’re selling something and one dude says I’ll take it, I’ll pick it up in a week. The you get a message after that from a dude saying I’ll take it I’ll pick it up now. Who you selling to 

If I told the first guy I would hold it for him until next week, then I will keep my word and sell to the first guy.  If you're the type of person where your name and word mean nothing, then you will do whatever you want anyway. 

Does not matter if it is a complete stranger or your best friend.  Your word is your word IMO.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

An “I’ll take it” or a “pm” mean absolutely nothing until you exchange money for item. Ethics mean nothing, your word means nothing, and any quoted phrase means nothing until you actually buy the item. It sucks, feels wrong, and betrayal comes to mind but it is what it is. I’m sorry you had a bad experience but that’s how some people are these days. All you can do is be respectful on your end.

Not sure totally on what your saying, there is a oral agreement law in AZ I believe, but I've gone thru this a few times.

Rules won't change anything, it common decency. I had a guy just recently told him ill take , where and when to meet, then crickets. Then saw it was sold after we had an agreement, sent him a pm and he went after my character. Some people are just argent jerks.

Is what it is , is that the same as ( as is ), buyer beware? Anyway your on the watch out list .lol  Made lots of great deals here with real stand up people. On this site..

Trphyhntr- I would at least contact him and explain, like i'm trying to do with bill@roofer..

My opinion only. Proceed 

1 hour ago, ThomC said:

That is a new one, care to explain the word "argent" ?😷

It means silver...ya know those silver jerks.