codyhuntsaz

Build your own pool

Has anyone went this route? I know there are company’s that you can use to have plans drawn up and will help you with permits and supply you with a list of subs, just wondering if anyone on here has used one or maybe is a pool builder themself. If you have used one, do you recommend them? I’ve heard you can save a ton of $$ doing it this way. 

A buddy of mine did and seem like everything went good. You gotta be your own general and be pro-active on scheduling and making sure things get done. But he kept showing me the progress and it looks really nice. I think it would be worth it! 

Also think about stuff like capping off existing drip lines and etc before the pavers were laid, tiny stuff like that. That he forgot and was a little hiccup.

yeah there was a big write up last year - i built my pool two years ago save about 30% 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Redman said:

yeah there was a big write up last year - i built my pool two years ago save about 30% 

Did you sub it out all yourself of did you hire a company to help you sub it out and draw up plans? Any chance you could link that thread on this on? I’ve tried searching. 

This is funny. I looked up the thread from a few years ago on this. Looking to do the same thing. 

16 minutes ago, ctafoya said:

This is funny. I looked up the thread from a few years ago on this. Looking to do the same thing. 

Can you link it here? I can’t find it....or what’s the title, i can look it up that way. Thanks 

X2  There a pita don’t need one up here so glad to be done.  If I was stuck in the valley  I’d still have one though.  Good luck!

Our last pool we built we subbed it out ourselves.  We made some hand drawn plans for pool (large play pool suited for water volleyball and a couple baja areas) and the shotcreet guys drew up the official plans.  We built our pool in 2007 and pool companies wanted Mid 30's to build.  We built it for just under 20K.  Was really pretty easy as far as scheduling because there is not much to a pool.  All the pool companies use the same guys and they all know each other.

2 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Did you sub it out all yourself of did you hire a company to help you sub it out and draw up plans? Any chance you could link that thread on this on? I’ve tried searching. 

I had an engineer draw it, then from there I subbed out the work - I still have the names and numbers - shoot me a PM and I can text or email the info

• Like 2

I have done a couple on my own.  Our current pool is the first one I had a company do.  I am too busy with work to take the time off when needed.  Like Redman I have all of the names and numbers of the companies I used.  Our lists are probably pretty similar.  Most of the trades will also give you cash discounts.  So you can even save a bit more.  Our last pool was over $50K to have done and I ended up doing it for $32K.

• Like 1

Take the time and do it Your self. I worked with a ton of Pool Builders over the years and wouldn't recomend any but 1. You can sub it all out like they Do.................BOB!

My uncle put in a pool.  The first year they used it alot.  The second year they sat and looked at it alot. The third year they looked at it, sometimes a visiting kid would use it.  The forth year the maintenance was tiring.  the fifth year it became dirty, very tired of the constant maintenance.  Then they sold the house to get away from that  dang pool and the constant maintenance.  Pools are money pits.  If you want to sit in water while you drink buy an above ground hot tub.  Then when you get tired of it you can get rid of it easy,   t doesnt waste so much water, if it gets dirty all you have to do it drain and fill or drain and sell.  😷

PS I didnt say dang.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ThomC said:

My uncle put in a pool.  The first year they used it alot.  The second year they sat and looked at it alot. The third year they looked at it, sometimes a visiting kid would use it.  The forth year the maintenance was tiring.  the fifth year it became dirty, very tired of the constant maintenance.  Then they sold the house to get away from that  dang pool and the constant maintenance.  Pools are money pits.  If you want to sit in water while you drink buy an above ground hot tub.  Then when you get tired of it you can get rid of it easy,   t doesnt waste so much water, if it gets dirty all you have to do it drain and fill or drain and sell.  😷

PS I didnt say dang.

The discussion of our pool is sure to get an argument started every time at my house.  I hate effing pools.  They are a huge money pit, rarely get used and a PITA to maintain.  My wife likes to sit in the shallow area with her sisters and friends and drink so what's a guy going to do.  I enjoy hunting and she enjoys sitting in the pool and drinking.  Marriage is a compromise.

• Like 1