codyhuntsaz

Build your own pool

I can never figure out why the negative people are always so adamant about wanting to shoot down other people's plans because they don't agree with them. Every time this comes up the same people come in and $h!t all over it.

I bought a house 2 years ago this July that the previous owners had spent over $30k building a pool the previous summer. A pool was one of the "must haves" on our list. Sure we have spent more money maintaining it, but we have never regretted it for 1 second. I have 5 kids, 4 of them boys, and we use the pool every day of the week. It's gas heated and we swim from March into late October and we enjoy the heck out of it. It has been a great escape during these times when a lot of places are shut down. 

I say go for it and ignore the negative Nancy's.

• Like 4

We had a pool for the 43 yrs we lived in our home. 

Resurfaced twice , once plaster, then fiberglass. Last was a complete rebuild to pebbletec ,new everything from a concrete shell. 20k

Never once regretted money spent.

Sure a pool can be a lot of time and work and even money. Just like anything ,if you take care of it and dont neglect it. Shouldn't be any extra time or money spent.

If you think it's something you can use a few times and not be prepared to take the time and effort and money to take care of it.  Dont do it.

A waste of time and money ?

That's up to you.

We loved having a pool , great times!

Didnt like it too much during a bad monsoon season! Lol

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, daryl_s said:

I can never figure out why the negative people are always so adamant about wanting to shoot down other people's plans because they don't agree with them. Every time this comes up the same people come in and $h!t all over it.

I bought a house 2 years ago this July that the previous owners had spent over $30k building a pool the previous summer. A pool was one of the "must haves" on our list. Sure we have spent more money maintaining it, but we have never regretted it for 1 second. I have 5 kids, 4 of them boys, and we use the pool every day of the week. It's gas heated and we swim from March into late October and we enjoy the heck out of it. It has been a great escape during these times when a lot of places are shut down. 

I say go for it and ignore the negative Nancy's.

Trust me, none of these negative comments are going to sway me from doing it if I want to do it. I know how much my family would use it and that’s why I am doing it. We have a four-year-old that loves to be in the pool, I’m doing it for her. The money spent will be paid back with memories made.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Trust me, none of these negative comments are going to sway me from doing it if I want to do it. I know how much my family would use it and that’s why I am doing it. We have a four-year-old that loves to be in the pool, I’m doing it for her. The money spent will be paid back with memories made.

That's the way it should be!! I have a 15 year old daughter, and boys ages 13, 10, 6, and 3. We did private individual swimming lessons with the 3 year old last summer and he is a little fish now and goes for hours with his brothers in the wavy chaos they create. Worth every penny to see how much fun they have in it, and that we have together.

Pools are awesome for young families.  As the kids got older, it got used less.  We are using more this year so far than probably the last 2 years combined and I hope that keeps up. They are expensive to put and up keep, but it is what it is. I would love to fill mine in, but dang near as expensive to build and we aren't quite there yet in terms of use.  But someday I have envisions of a nice fire pit, bbq etc where the pool is now. 

• Like 2

The saltwater pool I had was way less maintenance than the chlorine one. Plus you don't have to store all of those nasty chems. You still need to add acid/soda for PH balance every so often, but it is not as bad as chlorine and you won't smell like bleach and your wife's bleached hair won't turn green.  HAHAHA

• Like 1

On the internet you post stuff asking for advice and then get your panties in a wad and spit viruses when you get advice that you dont like.  Jezz if you dont like the free advice then dont pay it no never mind.  😷

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, ThomC said:

On the internet you post stuff asking for advice and then get your panties in a wad and spit viruses when you get advice that you dont like.  Jezz if you dont like the free advice then dont pay it no never mind.  😷

Pretty sure the OP wasn't asking if he should get a pool or not. His question and the advice he was seeking was about going the build it yourself route versus using a pool builder. I know from years of seeing your posts that your reading comprehension is at about a third grade level, so I'll give you a pass on this one 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThomC said:

.......huh

Ease up fellas.  Anyone who has had a pool for more than a year can relate and crack up a bit at some of the sour pool comments. Every day I change my opinion of how valuable my pool is and every day I can relate to both sides of this coin and the comments. It's hilarious and all in good taste.  

Right now - I love my pool.  Just spent most of my Sat replacing several sections of plumbing around the filter. Eff'er is still leaking at the input from the filter to the pump and will need a new housing soon...  The next time I spend my day working on that mugger, I will sing a different tune and be looking into estimates to fill it with dirt!  

Last year I bought 2 tubs of chlorine from Costco - still have 1/4 of one. I also bought 12 shocks bags,  replaced the pool cleaner wheels ($20) - that is what I spent. 

I did just order a solar device from Costco that is supposed to clean the pool with a copper element - it was $100 

• Like 1

Just now, Redman said:

Last year I bought 2 tubs of chlorine from Costco - still have 1/4 of one. I also bought 12 shocks bags,  replaced the pool cleaner wheels ($20) - that is what I spent. 

I did just order a solar device from Costco that is supposed to clean the pool with a copper element - it was $100 

Redman, You forgot to mention the additional $ you spent on electricity for running that pool motor and filtering system all year long.  Just say'n

To the original poster:  Get what you want and do what you want.  We are all adults here and just because some people don't like something doesn't mean the rest have to.  I have had a pool in every house I have lived in over last 33 years.  Two homes came with a pool, 1 home we hired a company to build for us and 1 we built it ourselves, subbed it out and saved about 40%.  Not exagerating when I when I say my wife and I spent no more than 10 hours total of our time and saved 15K-20K.  Pools are easy to sub out. Just because I think pools suck I know others like them.  I'm okay with that and I hope you are too.  I now pay someone $95 a month to clean weekly and provide chemicals and I never complain about paying it.  Good luck with your build.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, knothead said:

Redman, You forgot to mention the additional $ you spent on electricity for running that pool motor and filtering system all year long.  Just say'n

To the original poster:  Get what you want and do what you want.  We are all adults here and just because some people don't like something doesn't mean the rest have to.  I have had a pool in every house I have lived in over last 33 years.  Two homes came with a pool, 1 home we hired a company to build for us and 1 we built it ourselves, subbed it out and saved about 40%.  Not exagerating when I when I say my wife and I spent no more than 10 hours total of our time and saved 15K-20K.  Pools are easy to sub out. Just because I think pools suck I know others like them.  I'm okay with that and I hope you are too.  I now pay someone $95 a month to clean weekly and provide chemicals and I never complain about paying it.  Good luck with your build.

you are correct, 

for those thinking of a pool- get a variable speed pump- cost more up front but will save about 60%+ in energy 

It is actually code now.  The pool pump has to be variable speed.  Only a water feature can have a regular pump still.  That is how people get past paying the extra $.  They say that they are replacing a water feature pump and then install it on their filter.