codyhuntsaz

Factory Ammo

I recently bought a Tikka T3X superlite in 300WM....Id like to stick with factory ammo if I can get it to shoot MOA or better. I've heard these guns are pretty accurate with factory ammo if you can find one the gun likes. My question is.....If you were me and you were gonna buy 2,3,4 different types of ammo off the shelf to try out, which ones would you try? I figure it would like 180-210 grain bullets best? Its a 1:11 twist 24" barrel. Id love to hear from anyone that has a Tikka (especially a 300 WM) what round theirs likes best, maybe there will be a consensus. The most common one I've heard/read is the Hornady Precision Hunter 200gr ELDX.

• Like 1

Dang 1:11 twist seems slower than I would expect. Federal Fusion ammo has been accurate for me in several calibers out of a number of rifles 243/270/6.5C. Factory ammo does shoot well giving you sub MOA in decent rifles. Bear in mind that because higher ES & STD  (exterm spread & higher standard deviations) out to 500/600 your accuracy starts to fail because of the velocity deviations.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

Dang 1:11 twist seems slower than I would expect. Federal Fusion ammo has been accurate for me in several calibers out of a number of rifles 243/270/6.5C. Factory ammo does shoot well giving you sub MOA in decent rifles. Bear in mind that because higher ES & STD  (exterm spread & higher standard deviations) out to 500/600 your accuracy starts to fail because of the velocity deviations.

Good info...have you found a particular ammo that the extreme spread is better than others? 

I shoot HSM with 168 Bergers in my 7Mag Remington 700 that is almost 30 years old and get well under MOA. I can hit a golf ball at 400 yards. Furthest I have shot it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it is a 1:11", stick with 190gr and under bullets.  They are plenty for taking elk out to 1000, and will stabilize much better.  Had a guy I know take a HUGE moose with the 190 HVLD @ 650ish I think, one and done.

Nosler Trophy Grade have usually been pretty accurate from what I have witnessed.  180 NAB or 190 NABLR

HSM Trophy Gold w. 185 HVLD

HSM Game King w. 180 SGK

• Like 1

I personally have not shot the 200's in a Tikka, but on Rokslide, there are a couple of threads with lots of guys having great accuracy with the 200's.  In my mind, Lance's recommendations make more sense, but guys have had good success with the 200's as well.  

• Like 1

You should be able to find factory ammo that shoots MOA out of the Tikka.   I have two Tikka's and they are both very nice guns.    I've got one that shoots 1/2 MOA and I really didn't do much load development.   I'm sure I could get it much tighter but I don't know as though I need too for its intended purpose.   The 178 grain ELD-X's fly good out of my .308.  Here is an inexpensive item to buy for your Tikka.   They make a trigger spring that is lighter.   It is really, really easy to install and it gets the trigger down to 2-2.5#'s.   It breaks really, good and I think it makes a big difference.   Now it isn't a Jewel trigger but it is much better with the lighter spring and it runs about $10-20 for the spring and about 5 minutes to install.   Well worth the time and money.  You can also get a 5 round mag for extra capacity really cheap.   You will enjoy your gun.   

8 minutes ago, recurveman said:

You should be able to find factory ammo that shoots MOA out of the Tikka.   I have two Tikka's and they are both very nice guns.    I've got one that shoots 1/2 MOA and I really didn't do much load development.   I'm sure I could get it much tighter but I don't know as though I need too for its intended purpose.   The 178 grain ELD-X's fly good out of my .308.  Here is an inexpensive item to buy for your Tikka.   They make a trigger spring that is lighter.   It is really, really easy to install and it gets the trigger down to 2-2.5#'s.   It breaks really, good and I think it makes a big difference.   Now it isn't a Jewel trigger but it is much better with the lighter spring and it runs about $10-20 for the spring and about 5 minutes to install.   Well worth the time and money.  You can also get a 5 round mag for extra capacity really cheap.   You will enjoy your gun.   

Good info! Where can i pick up that spring? In the manual it says the factory trigger will go down to the 2.5 pound range, is that not the case without this spring? 

15 minutes ago, recurveman said:

Found the spring online and just ordered it. $10 for the spring.....$9 for the freaking shipping, what a rip! Oh well 

Elay Precision sells the springs on EBAY for $9.95 shipped. Best $10 you will spend upgrading a Tikka. 

3 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Found the spring online and just ordered it. $10 for the spring.....$9 for the freaking shipping, what a rip! Oh well 

The factory spring will go down to about 2.5# but it is all the way out and if freaks me out a bit.    The lighter spring can go down much lower but I think 2# or so is a good spot and that will put a little compression on the spring.   Seems like I have the screw about half way in with the light spring and it feels pretty good. 

On 5/14/2020 at 2:29 AM, codyhuntsaz said:

I recently bought a Tikka T3X superlite in 300WM....Id like to stick with factory ammo if I can get it to shoot MOA or better. I've heard these guns are pretty accurate with factory ammo if you can find one the gun likes. My question is.....If you were me and you were gonna buy 2,3,4 different types of ammo off the shelf to try out, which ones would you try? I figure it would like 180-210 grain bullets best? Its a 1:11 twist 24" barrel. Id love to hear from anyone that has a Tikka (especially a 300 WM) what round theirs likes best, maybe there will be a consensus. The most common one I've heard/read is the Hornady Precision Hunter 200gr ELDX.

good round and good rifle I shoot a Howa 1500 300wm 26 inch barrel with a 1-8 twist the 180 grain spbt handles great and good groups but it shines with the 200grain have gotten 2 inch groups at 1500 with the 200 grain hpbt slugs. But I reload never much liked factory loads prefer to tailor my loads to what I shoot. My choice the 1-11 slow twist but should handle the 190 spbt reasonable

9 hours ago, 50Caliber said:

good round and good rifle I shoot a Howa 1500 300wm 26 inch barrel with a 1-8 twist the 180 grain spbt handles great and good groups but it shines with the 200grain have gotten 2 inch groups at 1500 with the 200 grain hpbt slugs. But I reload never much liked factory loads prefer to tailor my loads to what I shoot. My choice the 1-11 slow twist but should handle the 190 spbt reasonable

I picked up some  185 gr HSM Berger HVLD and some Choice Ammo 180 gr  Nosler  Accubond, gonna try the 200 gr Hornady ELDX also, still waiting for the scope to come in to go out and test them out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

I picked up some  185 gr HSM Berger HVLD and some Choice Ammo 180 gr  Nosler  Accubond, gonna try the 200 gr Hornady ELDX also, still waiting for the scope to come in to go out and test them out.

you will see the difference between the 200 and the 185 the 180 will do better with the 1-8 twist the 185 maybe the 200 with the 1-11 reasonable it also depends on the distance your shooting also. the berger and nosler are good factory rounds the loading is fairly decent as for the hornady not shabby and priced reasonable enjoy

20 hours ago, 50Caliber said:

2" groups at 1500 yards?  Very impressive.  .13MOA.  

2 hours ago, 50Caliber said:

you will see the difference between the 200 and the 185 the 180 will do better with the 1-8 twist the 185 maybe the 200 with the 1-11 reasonable it also depends on the distance your shooting also. the berger and nosler are good factory rounds the loading is fairly decent as for the hornady not shabby and priced reasonable enjoy

I think you might have your numbers flipped.  The 180-185 will do fine in 1:11" twist.  I have even loaded up to a 190 HVLD in one.  The 200+ would shoot better in the 1:8".  210+ would definitely shoot better in the 1:8" over 1:11".