codyhuntsaz

Factory Ammo

On 5/13/2020 at 4:29 PM, codyhuntsaz said:

I recently bought a Tikka T3X superlite in 300WM....Id like to stick with factory ammo if I can get it to shoot MOA or better. I've heard these guns are pretty accurate with factory ammo if you can find one the gun likes. My question is.....If you were me and you were gonna buy 2,3,4 different types of ammo off the shelf to try out, which ones would you try? I figure it would like 180-210 grain bullets best? Its a 1:11 twist 24" barrel. Id love to hear from anyone that has a Tikka (especially a 300 WM) what round theirs likes best, maybe there will be a consensus. The most common one I've heard/read is the Hornady Precision Hunter 200gr ELDX.

I have the same gun Barnes 180gr TTSX; most tikka 300wm like the 180 gr because of the twist rate as stated by others. You could also try the accubonds in the 180 gr, heard others like those too....

3 hours ago, redhammer911 said:

I have the same gun Barnes 180gr TTSX; most tikka 300wm like the 180 gr because of the twist rate as stated by others. You could also try the accubonds in the 180 gr, heard others like those too....

Ok, I’ll try the Barnes also.....The Choice ammo i bought is loaded with 180 gr Accubonds. I decided to try that brand because each round is hand loaded and from the same lot, hoping that gives a little better consistency round to round. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, roninflag said:

I can't see why the heavy bullets. a 165 or 180 will easily handle the biggest elk deer or bear. how often do you hunt buffaloe? 

I don’t necessarily want to shoot a bullet over 180-185. I’ve just heard a lot of guys getting good results with the 200 gr ELDX. 

On 6/21/2020 at 4:31 PM, lancetkenyon said:

2" groups at 1500 yards?  Very impressive.  .13MOA.  

I think you might have your numbers flipped.  The 180-185 will do fine in 1:11" twist.  I have even loaded up to a 190 HVLD in one.  The 200+ would shoot better in the 1:8".  210+ would definitely shoot better in the 1:8" over 1:11".

the 180 to 190 do fine from 500 to 1000 as far as the 200/to 210 I said reasonable that is why the barrel I have with the 1-11 is in a corner and I installed one with the 1-8

a 200 grain eld-x is an excellent place to start. my experience is a heavier gun is easier to get to shoot consistently well, especially at long or longer ranges. also, the light ones are less fun shooitng during the load development.