firstcoueswas80

Anyone else hate HOAs?

Anyone else hate em?

Getting close to closing on the sale of my house. 

They hit me with some of the dumbest schit I've ever seen. 

Put a 12x6 garden in the backyard.

Put a little bit of rock down in the corners of the yard.

Put a 3' we ought iron fence in.

Flagstone patio was there when I moved in.

All "violations" according to them. 

What a crock of BS. Cant want to move out. 

I am not a big fan of them but like AzDiamondHeat stated they have their purpose.  Most people never look at the CC&R's when they buy the house and then complain non stop about them afterwards.  How can they see into your back yard to see if you have a garden or not?  They have no right to step foot on your property. 

Funny story, my wife turned me in to our HOA on our last house.  I had an Isuzu Trooper out front that I only used for hunting.  She got tired of it sitting out there so she turned me in.  So I pulled in to the driveway and got another violation because the tags were expired and they called it abandoned vehicle.  So I called and asked if they could step foot on my property and when they said no I backed my Trooper into the driveway and called it good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So these are only “violations” now that you’re selling the house? Interesting...

We have an association...sometimes I hate them but most of the time no problems. The weed and yard debris notices are annoying, especially when I have neighbors who call their nasty yard “wildflowers” to make it okay. I hate that our fees new going up to cover Constant vandalism damage to our pools and other HOA property. 

Would never buy a house that was in one. Demarcate thing.. Hope you didn't put up an American flag .

• Like 1

Like already mentioned.  I dislike them but they have a purpose.  If they didn't, you would have bright pink and yellow houses, people parking in the yard, unkept houses/yards and you can only imagine all the other things.  There is a noticeable difference in neighborhoods with them and the ones without.   Overzealous neighborhood watch nazi's can get power hungry though. 

HOA's are necessary evils.  Kinda like an attorney.

Oh yeah, don't leave you garbage can out for to long after it is emptied either. My nephew got a notice about that, and he hadn't even got home from work yet?

HOA management companies ( if you have one) are hired and paid by your neighborhood board of directors.  They take direction from that board on how strict to manage communities. Lots of control freaks on those boards. Go to your board members if you want changes (or better yet become a board member. 
Arizona planned community act helps keep HOAs in line.  State law trumps any restrictions they try to impose. 

• Like 1

My real estate agent is a buddy of mine from high school. He thinks that they got the pictures of the so-called violations from the pictures that we listed the MLS with.

Wow. Usually it’s a routine drive thru by the management company or a bit Chan neighbor. Your HOA takes themselves pretty serious.  Good thing to move on.  

57 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

My real estate agent is a buddy of mine from high school. He thinks that they got the pictures of the so-called violations from the pictures that we listed the MLS with.

Yeah that’s pretty lousy...I was going to ask if it was the HOA or the buyer making issue...I could see a picky buyer requesting things be fixed to align with HOA. So now it becomes an issue whether the buyer agrees with the changes, assuming you’re under contract. Rip out the garden and flagstone and it’s no longer “as seen” when they made the offer. What a mess...sorry that’s happening to you on top of everything else that resulted in the need to sell.