rcdinaz

Which portable shooting bench?

What does everyone use for long-range shooting?  

I built a portable one using collapsible sawhorses but I am getting tired of lugging around a half dozen pieces of gear for setup and takedown. Most of the commercial ones seem to be far too flimsy.  

Good find on the brackets!  This bench looks great and I have read through the build on this a number of times.  I was figuring it would still run around $200, pipe, wood, feet, hardware.  

Comparing the build to buying this one which looks kind of nifty with the leg storage integrated into the bench.  

https://legacyshootingproducts.com/collections/shooting-benches/products/legacy-rh-shooting-bench?variant=30826419715

The other really nice one I saw was the one made by DOA but they want $600.  

I custom built mine, cost was around $250. I had the removable legs and frame powder coated. It’s very Sturdy! Basic but nice

When I was young it was just a harris bipod, now its a harris bipod and a thick shooting matt.

Red, I remember that shooting bench from Rick. I built one also many years ago,got tired of lugging it around as well. Rick had some great articles in shooting times back then

1 hour ago, rcdinaz said:

Good find on the brackets!  This bench looks great and I have read through the build on this a number of times.  I was figuring it would still run around $200, pipe, wood, feet, hardware.  

Comparing the build to buying this one which looks kind of nifty with the leg storage integrated into the bench.  

https://legacyshootingproducts.com/collections/shooting-benches/products/legacy-rh-shooting-bench?variant=30826419715

The other really nice one I saw was the one made by DOA but they want $600.  

You could probably use the top off a folding plastic table and cut out a place to sit. Then get some 3/4" EMT to make four 24" legs and attach them to the table. Then put a set screw coupling on the other end. Then cut some 1/2" EMT pieces to 18" and slide it into the 3/4" coupling and tighten down the screw. This way you could make each leg adjustable for uneven terrain. You could probably make two for under $70.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pdg-6-ft-folding-table-1254510?cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1254510&gclid=CjwKCAjwwYP2BRBGEiwAkoBpAvJdxnM10b3qLuuUbjnOyRoYTJZHKtpcgqwgM94nH0jyjSEVVp6WiBoCFGsQAvD_BwE

This is a good option, I originally started out using a plastic folding table.  I moved up to the sawhorses because there is a lot of wiggle in the plastic.  I have had quite a few people out to get them started and show them that they can hit targets well past 500 yards.  A heavier table makes it a lot easier to set them up without all of the movement.  

you can get those emt connectors that they use for tarp and awnings and such. Mark at Marks nuts bolts and surplus just south of northern and 67th ave sells them in all sizes from 1/2" dia to 2" dia. they come in all different angles and right angles etc etc. and there adjustable as well.

then if you want good bench get a old counter top or solid wooden door cut it to size using bolts to bolt it to the frame made from the above.

plastic tables suck because they are long and flimsy.

I double stacked 3/4" plywood to make a top cut into shooting bench shape. Welded 2" rigid conduit threaded couplings to 1/4 " plate at and angle bolted that to the wood and did 2" rigid conduit for removable legs. Heavy duty and cheap... but after I started shootin elr contests I pretty much just use bipod and a  shooting mat now. 

• Like 1

Thanks!  I may make another one but I bit the bullet and bought the Legacy.  Price tag is steep but it is very well thought out and super solid but light enough pretty much anyone could carry it.