Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Raising Quail

Toying around the idea of raising Quail. Does anyone on here do this? I understand you need a permit from game and fish on certain breeds like gambles etc. I'm looking into having the kids raising them and selling them. Trying to keep them busy!

41 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

I did when I was a kid. They try every thing posable to try and kill themselves.  They are very hi strung. 1 wire sticking out in the coop, they will find it and stab themselves.  

Dang that’s nuts

I don't know for sure but I don't think you are allowed to raise Gambels.  I know there are special licenses for raising game birds for dog training and it has gotten quite complicated and regimented.  You may want to do a search on the AZGFD site for special licenses.

You can raise them , but you have to have a receipt for the eggs. Dad raised them all the time, now just love birds..

Special Use Permit – Game Bird Hobby License Application

Brief Description – To allow for an individual to purchase, import, propagate, give away, kill, transport, or export pen reared game birds for personal, non-commercial use, up to 50 game birds.

Checklist

• Process:  Complete application form and submit with all required information to an Arizona Game and Fish Department Office
  • Application Form Needed:   FORM 2714-A
  • Report form needed:  FORM 2714-B
    • Must be submitted by January 31 of each year regardless of whether or not activities were performed during the previous year
  • Fee:  $5.00
  • Additional information:  Applicants must be in compliance with and have met the criteria outlined in R12-4-414, R12-4-428, and all other applicable statutes and rules prior to issuance of a Game Bird hobby License

Good old game and fish, shouldn't they be out killing Jaguars?

IMO, If its not listed in the game and fish regulations as a game bird then you should not need a permit.

Example - Coturnix Quail are not list as a game bird

• Like 2

Well I've raised a few thousand bob white quail.   Don't do it anymore.    You can have fun with it but I don't think there really is any money to be made at it.   You need quite a bit of space and it is nice to move them from space to space at different times.   I would start the chicks out in an incubator and then put 300-400 chicks in a shed with a bunch of red heat lamps.   They are very sensitive to temp changes.     You can kill them with heat or cold.   Then once they were a few weeks old I would kick them out into a bigger pen that worked OK.    Then once they were old enough to sell I would move them into a "flight pen" and let them work on flying.   At each stage the water stations and feeders would be a different size.    At some point you will start killing some off slowly and you won't know why.   My solution would be to fill up a sprayer with bleach water and spray down the entire pen and then bleach out all the water stations and probably change out the food.  If you start with 400 chicks you would be lucky to end up with 250 mature birds.   It is easy to make the 400 chicks turn into 75 birds though.   

We learned a bunch and it was a good time.   Lots and lots of work for no money.    Does take a little investment but I think your kids would enjoy it.   

Don't forget about chickens.   I enjoyed chickens and eggs more than quail.   You could sell the eggs and make money with much less hassle then quail.   

• Like 1

Delving into the rules:

A private game farm licenses authorizes the use of
only the following species:
1. Captive-reared game birds:
a. Alectoris chukar, Chukar;
b. Callipepla californica,California or valley
quail;
c. Callipepla gambelii, Gambel’s quail;
R12-4-413 NATURAL RESOURCES 192
d. Callipepla squamata, Scaled quail;
e. Colinus virginianus, Northern bobwhite;