Sign in to follow this  
Boarman03

Wanted - 25-06 for my son and daughters

I've been reading quite a bit about the 25-06 and I think it would be a great setup for my 14yr son and my 17yr old, 23yr old, and 25yr old daughters to hunt medium game with. Would like to play with one and find out.

Please let me know what you have, how much, and where you are located.

Even a good Remington 700 barrel in 25 - 06 could work. I'd try to have Todd at Southern XPress rebarrel a 30-06 for me and maybe put a (probably unnecessary) brake on it.

Great caliber for anyone, not just youngsters, though it has been kind of eclipsed recently in the 6.5/260 anything trend. The 25-06 being limited in bullet weight compared to the 6.5's.

Good luck with your search! If no one has something locally there is a barrel on Ebay at $49 currently.

• Like 2

I have a 25-06 Thompson pro hunter in camo Thumbhole stock with big Nikon on it i could let go of.

Pm if interested 

pete

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

I have one but it kicks worse then a 30/06

How light is it? 

🤔🤔

🤫

7mm-08. 😁 heck of a lot less kick and it is also versatile or the 6.5cm. I choose 7mm-08 1st.

🤫

• Like 1

I don't want to do math here but there is no tricking physics. Pushing a 117 grain bullet out of a 25-06 is going to give about the same recoil as a 7-08 in 120 grain. The advantage of the the 7-08 is that it can also go 140 gr and beyond. The 25-06 can't.

And I in no way support Chuck Hawks but I do use his recoil table occasionally. 

Recoil table

If I got to choose it would be 6.5x284 but 25-06 is a great round, it is easy to get ammo for and screaming flat for Coues.

Kent

• Like 3

I appreciate all of the comments. KBarter is supported by the information I have been reading and the intended use is medium game on down.

For bigger game, like Elk, I've read varying opinions but most favor the long rifle cartridges of 270 Win and up at above 140 grain bullets due to potential distances etc., even though the short rifle rounds of 6.5, 260, 7-08 and up do well with 140 grain bullets and heavier at closer distances.

Theoretically a .223/5.56, 224 Valkyrie or other AR variants, or the 22-250, 243 etc could kill an Elk with sufficient shot placement but, morally to reduce potential animal suffering, are greatly discouraged. This is what I am trying to follow by what I've read.

So the info on the 25-06 including recoil, availability of ammo and so forth made it appealing for medium game on down for my kids. I might even add a muzzle break to reduce the recoil more.

For me a 30-06 works well generally but I'm liking the 7mm mag for greater distance low brush. But there are many choices to play with and I want to play more before I decide for me.

Barrett M82A1 50bmg would kill anything but.....nah.

35 minutes ago, Boarman03 said:

I appreciate all of the comments. KBarter is supported by the information I have been reading and the intended use is medium game on down.

For bigger game, like Elk, I've read varying opinions but most favor the long rifle cartridges of 270 Win and up at above 140 grain bullets due to potential distances etc., even though the short rifle rounds of 6.5, 260, 7-08 and up do well with 140 grain bullets and heavier at closer distances.

Theoretically a .223/5.56, 224 Valkyrie or other AR variants, or the 22-250, 243 etc could kill an Elk with sufficient shot placement but, morally to reduce potential animal suffering, are greatly discouraged. This is what I am trying to follow by what I've read.

So the info on the 25-06 including recoil, availability of ammo and so forth made it appealing for medium game on down for my kids. I might even add a muzzle break to reduce the recoil more.

For me a 30-06 works well generally but I'm liking the 7mm mag for greater distance low brush. But there are many choices to play with and I want to play more before I decide for me.

Barrett M82A1 50bmg would kill anything but.....nah.

You just gotta buy 1 of everything! Heck remember with that recoil chart even the design of a stock may effect felt recoil from same weight gun or even same gun just sayin... my 25-06 is a rem 700 old school in Adl so flippin heavy and shooting 117 I gurantee she kicks WAY harder than my tikka superlite in 7mm-08 shooting 139 both in superformance sst🤷‍♂️ sometimes it just makes no sense but it does happen. I do love the 25-06, 260rem, 7mm-08, and dream of all things .243 still 🤗

I think it is 117gr sst yes for 25?

Anyways good luck! With your kids ages it sure shouldn't matter much! My paps had me in a 30-06 at like 12 I think so there's that. That was when we still only had cement hard recoil pads so I still kinda hold that against him. 🤣 

Keep the quarter bore going! I have a walmart adl getting a new barrel spun on in .257 roberts for my son. Plan on using 100 grainers to practice and take deer sized game with. No help with the 25/06 but I have found in my small sampling putting a new barrel on greatly increases accuracy. Those factory barrels are a crap shoot if they are accurate. I would rebarrel your 30/06 and stick a brake on it. 

Our only problem is we are skinny small framed (bones). Also, as a young man, I spent two years in Peru and learned what necessities were, and what poor really is. As a result I've been growing up working very hard and being very frugal. Now I'm paying for three kids in college because they can't get loans or scholarships, my 3rd daughter just turned 17 and graduates this week with the second highest grades in her class at Westwood, but  ranked 14th because 13 kids tied for the highest grades. She was in the IB program and should also get the IB diploma. She's a high achiever and got that from her mother.

So I can't buy every caliber of every rifle made, yet. And being past 60 with back issues, lost trains of thought and occasional ramblings, not to mention the entrained frugal proclivity, it probably won't happen in my lifetime. But sounds fun.

If I could only afford a 100yrd underground shooting range in my back yard!

• Like 1

By the way, my 30-06 was a custom build by William Sukalle for himself back in the 50's from an old O3. It has been very accurate for me as the hogs in my freezer will attest to.

A friend gave it to me after teasing me for a year of not letting me buy it. He loaned it to me for my first hog hunt back in 2007 and I fell in love with it. It does kick though.

• Like 1

I hope you find a 25-06 imho it is one of the better deer and down rounds. I have only ever ran my hand loads in it and sometimes it kicked when I tried to push them faster  I just installed a nice recoil pad and am waiting for my scope to get back from leupold so I can see if it is tamed. When my daughter thought she wanted to hunt that is what I picked up for her and would do it again.  Good luck finding one