Sign in to follow this  
greg.shrum

Skull cleaning

i had a dude do mine this year and he like, steamed or bleached off the color on my horns. so yeah, use that kid and not the dude that i used. 

• Like 3

Here are the pictures and the example I was talking about. First thing I want everyone to understand is that this bison turned out awesome! But we being the perfectionists we are and wanting everyone to get back the best skull possible, want to make sure people know that even on a euro, field care matters.

Here is a picture of how the bison was upon arrival. Like I mentioned, they don't tend to fit in coolers, so this skinned skull traveled the long journey home in the back of the truck and got really dried out in the process.

20200512_175156.thumb.jpg.f6d6803fb1cc6534505f11f5a4882144.jpg

You will noticed that after simmering and cleaning, there are several dark purplish areas. This is where the blood dried into the bone and essentially stained the bone

20200512_222357.thumb.jpg.2624c9fd7a0261572cebbebc3039a78c.jpg20200520_161843.thumb.jpg.f21828e99a712bb044bbca8eafd385d9.jpg

20200520_161922.thumb.jpg.38573797551c672be866656d826d4634.jpg

At a distance of a few feet or more, you won't likely notice any discoloration.

IMG_20200514_172306_882.thumb.jpg.39eb57eac51d39af28971abced715c31.jpg

But when you look really close, you can see what those dark spots look like after whitening. They either show a slight residual darkness or turn a shade of yellow. Over the past few years, Draysen and I have tried many methods of whitening and rewhitening multiple times to try and get these darker or yellow spots out. But once the skull is dried out, it seems irreversible. This also happens if left skinned for an extended time in the freezer (freezer burn), but generally it takes several months for that to happen.

20200520_161632.thumb.jpg.0564b62b0ad26e92bb01bd6e320ca44e.jpg20200520_161801.thumb.jpg.88feffafd15392e1cf5ab98765c81fe2.jpg

20200520_161735.thumb.jpg.87764b2d96c1a1721b94e5cf15524463.jpg

20200520_174104.thumb.jpg.3f3dce78b7f0189cd9695fcf3c33daa0.jpg

Most probably wouldn't notice or care. But when you have seen hundreds of euros come in and out the door, you can definitely tell the difference in a freshly done euro versus one that got dried out or left in a freezer for an extended period.

I'll share a few tips for getting the cleanest most bone white euro possible from your animal:

1. Keep if moist and cold. Due to past issues with the neighbors, we have agreed to turn away any rotten skulls. Your nose will let you know if it is rotten. If it is, don't worry, we have other euro guys we can refer you to who live far from neighbors. But be advised, some charge an extra fee for dealing with a rotten skull.

2. If it is a small animal, and will fit in a cooler, do it. Skinned or unskinned, if cold, it will keep for many days.

3. If it is a large animal that won't fit in a cooler of freezer (mule deer, elk, bison, etc.), and you can't get it to your euro guy right away, leave the hide on and get it in the shade. We have had skulls brought to us that were a few days old with hide on that were kept out of the sun. They turned out just as white as a skull brought to us within hours of the kill. But if you take the hide off, it will start to dry out immediately.

4. If you must take the hide off, submerge the skinned skull in a pot or bin with cold water. This will keep it fresh for days, as long as the water stays cold.

5. If you are leaving the hide on, it does not need to be submerged as the hide will keep it from drying out, just cover it with ice and blankets and it will stay for days. A couple of years ago my wife had a bull elk hunt up north. After she shot her bull, we stayed up in the mountain for several days. We were able to keep the skull fresh and moist by leaving the hide on, putting it in a big bin from the local Walmart, throwing a few bags of ice on it, and them covering it up with a sleeping bag. When we got home a few days later, the skull was as fresh as the day she shot it.

6. If you get home and can't get it to the euro guy right away, stick it in the freezer. With the hide left on, it will keep in great shape for months, even years. If you have removed the hide, it will start to get freezer burn in your freezer after a few months, but you have a lot of time to get it to the euro guy before this happens. If it is going to be in the freezer (hide off) for an extended period, soak a towel, t-shirt, etc. with water, wrap it around the skull, and freezer it with the wet cloth on it. This will do the same thing the hide would have and preserve it from freezer burn.

Sorry to be long winded. Just want to make sure everyone has the best information and knows what to do to have the best "trophy" possible. Please feel free to shoot us any questions.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

i had a dude do mine this year and he like, steamed or bleached off the color on my horns. so yeah, use that kid and not the dude that i used. 

I do a ton of euros. You can find the right color minwax an re stain using a q tip. And yes the euro will come out way whiter if you leave the hide on. Good work Draysen.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Beaton said:

I do a ton of euros. You can find the right color minwax an re stain using a q tip. And yes the euro will come out way whiter if you leave the hide on. Good work Draysen.

I was wondering what the best way is to add some color back to them 

14 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I was wondering what the best way is to add some color back to them 

PROVINCIAL 211

If I ever have to touch up antlers this is the color I use. Seems to match really well with most antlers.

26 minutes ago, briant_az said:

@rossislider

Drayson did a fantastic job on that buffalo! The kid definitely knows whats hes doing! 

That's, in part, because Draysen has a good assistant.  The guy can't hike worth a darn, but he can help around the shop pretty good!

Great tips, Sean!  I gots to admit, though, I kinda like that blood-stained look.  It gives the skull some character!

• Like 1

Draysen has done 6 skulls for me and they all turned out great. He does great work. Big thanks to both Sean and Draysen!!

• Like 1