Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Ignition Coils

I'm no mechanic but looking for some solid info on ignition coils.

F150 Turbo boost 2013

Ford wants $142 per coil, 6 coils, $852 just for the coils!

So is there something magical about the OEM from Ford or is there an affordable compromise?

According to youtube I think I can handle changing them out......maybe :) :( 

Ironically in the word affordable is the word ford !!!

Pretty much every company in the industry makes a replacement for a 3.5l eb coil

• Like 1

No knowledge on ford but the Germans like factory stuff. Or at least an aftermarket made by the same company that the factory uses. I tend to use dealer parts for electrics on my vehicles. But I don’t own any fords, they may be different.

• Like 1

personally I like to use factory parts, Wife on the other hand sqawks and likes it cheap. took about 15 years for her to realize every time we bought after market parts, I had to replace them over and over but hey they parts are life time right.....

I'm still a factory guy unless they cant be had, she is hard core factory since then. case in point 3  years ago had complete front end replaced guy used soo called good parts against my better judgement it saved me 2k. put another complete front end in last year. this time factory parst except for the ones that were out of stock we went with the stronger aftermarket ones. F autozone and the likes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jesushunt said:

9D7993B4-D103-4DD0-9688-E55D5E9E05D8.jpeg

I just had F-150 for two weeks, it was a nice ride, and I was thinking about getting one, but the rental had 10,000 miles on it and it leaked engine oil.

The key is to get someone who makes the product for the manufacturer. Like you could use Delphi coils or even the standard T series on some things or you could even get motorcraft from an aftermarket parts house cheaper than the dealer I'm sure. 

• Like 2

Not knowing exactly what engine you have in this truck I just did a quick check on eBay and there are several sellers dealing with Motocraft coils, singles and sets of coils at about 1/3 the cost of the stealer parts price. Take it from me after 50+ years of auto industry repairs top name brand parts are the way to go. The only parts I would recommend to buy only original equipment would be emissions related parts and sensors because 95% of the aftermarket parts in that category such butter milk .

2 hours ago, galiuro mountain man said:

Why do you need all six at a time?  

So I had my timing chain cover leak fixed and it was recommended that I get 3 of the coils replaced! Guess my line of thinking was if I'm gonna dive in I would replace them all....plus the spark plugs.....177K miles on the truck without any attention to that area! Suppose the Ford mechanic would tell me which three needed attention? :) 

3 hours ago, 360 0r Better said:

Not knowing exactly what engine you have in this truck I just did a quick check on eBay and there are several sellers dealing with Motocraft coils, singles and sets of coils at about 1/3 the cost of the stealer parts price. Take it from me after 50+ years of auto industry repairs top name brand parts are the way to go. The only parts I would recommend to buy only original equipment would be emissions related parts and sensors because 95% of the aftermarket parts in that category such butter milk .

I have priced out some Motorcraft coils and they are around $70......Oreilly's

Ford wants $142 per coil, 6 coils, $852 just for the coils!

://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,f-150,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,3000987,ignition,ignition+coil,7060

GM and MOPAR suck hind tit.  the baja eats them for breakfast.  take it from a senior GM test driver/analyst you can see checkered with toy and ford.

lee