Sign in to follow this  
ewilly

Duramax Diesel Mechanic or Parts

All of the sudden I have what appears to be the chronic 2003 LB7 injector failure issue.  I noticed an excess noise and smoke at idle and then loss of power.  

I could use some recommendations for how others have approached this problem to avoid being gouged at shops.  I am willing to dive in and do the work myself if I can find good parts.

Thanks, 

My buddy had his done as a recall since it was the first time.

Might be worth checking into.

I have the truck now and loving it.

The recall was kinda secret and kept very quiet to most. we took our 2004 in for an oil change and a valve cover gasket leak and the service manager called us and said hey were changing injectors and the instrument cluster due to a recall. mine was 3-5 years past the recall also. I got lucky and it was free of charge I guess cause I knew the service manager.

I think we brought ours in back in 2015 when it got changed

My buddy/ my 2001 was done a little earlier than 2015. Still would not hurt to try. It was a known problem and may depend on the mileage.

Worth a good fight.

Thanks  guys - I will try that although the guy I got it from had told the me it was done already once but after researching they are very problematic.

14 hours ago, ewilly said:

Thanks  guys - I will try that although the guy I got it from had told the me it was done already once but after researching they are very problematic.

Yes and a Duramax is a b**** to work on. Most mechanics hate working on them. Hope you get it all figured out. 

8 hours ago, Cahunter805 said:

The Duramax is a great motor. If you plan to keep it or anyone else with one I would highly recommend this filter kit. Much better than factory filters and will help your injectors out. The CAT filter is much smaller microns than a factory filter. 
http://nicktane.com/index.php/product/filter-adapter-bundle-kit/

Excellent I will definitely add this!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cahunter805 said:

The Duramax is a great motor. If you plan to keep it or anyone else with one I would highly recommend this filter kit. Much better than factory filters and will help your injectors out. The CAT filter is much smaller microns than a factory filter. 
http://nicktane.com/index.php/product/filter-adapter-bundle-kit/

Cahunter

we got that one on ours as well from a gm mechanic plus it was cheaper from what he said. Our filter housing cracked and was leaking.

• Like 2