Dirt Nap

Doves and pellet guns

26 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Just can't use that method of take....

Pellet gun?

26 minutes ago, Edge said:

Probably 1 or 4 violations.

You are correct. I just got off the phone with AZGFD. I called in and reported a violation on myself. Told the young lady what I did and that I used a pellet gun. She took all my info. The time of the year was fine, the species was fine, the weapon of choice was not fine. I got some great videos out at the farm with some pigeons. I can post those!!!

I did not know you couldn't use a pellet gun.  

I'll have to double check on squirrels, I was pretty sure you could kill squirrels with a pellet gun so I assumed you could with doves too.  

Post some pigeon vids. That was sweet!

Wow, that's one powerful pellet gun, great video footage. I'd still take the videos down, pretty sure the mean moderators can help.

If those were collared dove, they misplaced their collars somewhere. God bless, bro.

I'm curious, to anybody eating the Collared Dove, taste any different than Mourning or Whitewing? I got a million Eurasians here, they look awfully tender, juicy. Never cared much for the other doves.

48 minutes ago, Edge said:

Wow, that's one powerful pellet gun, great video footage. I'd still take the videos down, pretty sure the mean moderators can help.

If those were collared dove, they misplaced their collars somewhere. God bless, bro.

I'm curious, to anybody eating the Collared Dove, taste any different than Mourning or Whitewing? I got a million Eurasians here, they look awfully tender, juicy. Never cared much for the other doves.

Prob taste like chit. All dove do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Prob taste like chit. All dove do. 

Yeah pretty dry, full of pellets. Maybe try this... Salt and pepper, wrapped in bacon then smoked. When done, unwrap bacon, eat it and toss dove breasts in trash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Edge said:

Yeah pretty dry, full of pellets. Maybe try this... Salt and pepper, wrapped in bacon then smoked. When done, unwrap bacon, eat it and toss dove breasts in trash.

I actually liked them like that but marinated them in olive oil and garlic first. I quit hunting them for years because I didn’t like the taste of them. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, el diablo said:

I actually liked them like that but marinated them in olive oil and garlic first. I quit hunting them for years because I didn’t like the taste of them. 

You're a good cook, I know this firsthand. I loved dove hunting in my youth, taught me to shoot good, pick up my empties and reloading.too.

Then came migratory stamps, ammo restrictions and dove taste like crap when ma wasn't here to prepare it.

Make homemade dove stew, cut the breasts up into quarters add to the frying pan with real butter, garlic clove  and wherchester suace cook them up about half way on low heat to let all the flavor sink in then add to your favorite fixings of your choice for stew in the crockpot . Let simmer for about 8 hours and you will change your mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 360 0r Better said:

Make homemade dove stew, cut the breasts up into quarters add to the frying pan with real butter, garlic clove  and wherchester suace cook them up about half way on low heat to let all the flavor sink in then add to your favorite fixings of your choice for stew in the crockpot . Let simmer for about 8 hours and you will change your mind.

Gimme about an hour's notice before it's ready.

Why even post, why call the game and fish and self report?  And yes I got a Jim Shockey 22cal Benjamin that f's rabbits up. Flips them and throws them 5 ft.

I used to never want to eat doves.  Now I fillet the breast meat off, season and bacon wrap.   Great on the grill!

And the collard/eurasion doves taste basically the same as morning/white-wings, IMO.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aznative65 said:

I used to never want to eat doves.  Now I fillet the breast meat off, season and bacon wrap.   Great on the grill!

And the collard/eurasion doves taste basically the same as morning/white-wings, IMO.

Pretty much. Not hard to cook just don't overcook or they turn into rubber and taste like liver. Anyone who has the slightest ability or interest in cooking figures that out after the first few trials and errors. Lots, LOTS of ways to cook them.

• Like 1