Sign in to follow this  
Green Bullet

Ranger vs General vs Razr

Had a 2010 Ranger 800.  It was solid....down in 33 it would bottom out a lot and it felt a little tippy on the steep stuff  but it was a tough little machine.  Thinking about a new General but unclear how much more performant it would be and hence I'm looking at Razors too.   Razors are nice but storage (lack of) is a concern.   the new ProXps have the fold down back seats which helps quite a bit.

HAs anyone owned or ridden in all of them?   Looking for real world experience.

I have owned 3 different Rangers from 2005 / 2018.... In late 2017 we purchased a general 4...Had a 4 inch lift with 30 inch tires installed a month later...All the Rangers had 10.000 plus hunting miles on them when sold... The general is tremendously better in all aspects EXCEPT cargo capacity....Although we have brought out several bull elk and gear with it....If you have any specific questions please let me know. Thanks Dave

• Like 1

Last year I was trying to decide between the two also. I think I talked to Dave and he had nothing but good things to say about the Generals. The additional cost for the General was the only thing holding me back. I ultimately ended up buying a Ranger 1000. It has been a great machine so far and done everything  I've needed it to. We ended up going this route because we have 2 young boys (9 months and 2 year old). We live on a county island and drive it through the neighborhood at least once a week. It was just easier to have the boys be able to sit in the front seat with us for those rides. If they were a couple years older, I would have bought the general. 

There has been a couple times that having room to fit 6 has come in handy.

Whatever you end up with make sure to get a lift and call Ryan @ Iron City Polaris in Casa Grande. They got me the best price out the door. I ended up with a roof, lift, and a 4-year warranty cheaper than I could get just the machine from Ride Now or Four Seasons.  

One of my good friends has a RZR XP4 turbo and that thing is bad butt. I would never hunt out of it though. Its fast as can be, but loud. And listening to the intake on that thing all day would drive me nuts!

• Like 1

The general is really nice and a great in between machine.... the back seat can come out in about 2 seconds each if you needed the back area for a little more storage. 

I had a ranger that I was very happy with and it never let me down but I found a great deal on a 2018 General 4 and made the switch.  Ride and handling is much better in the general but it is a little louder than my ranger was.   I noticed when I put rear window on it made the ride a little more quieter.  I have the tailgate extender that can easily be taken off or put on in about 30 seconds and that makes the storage space very comparable to my ranger.  

I still have my 2001 polaris sportsman 400 that I prefer to ride when I am by myself.

RzRs are a blast, but I'd never buy one if its primary purpose would be for hunting.  Can't go wrong with the Rangers.  I went through this about a year ago and ended up with a Teryx though, and I really love it.  

We have hunted deer and javelina out of a RZR 1000 XP4 and it does work.  It gets pretty tight with 3 or 4 adults and all the gear.  Might take multiple trips to haul out a large animal. 

The trade off to me is having the RZR for non hunting rides.  It’s fast and a lot of fun to blast around trails, beaches or wherever your weekend takes you. Those weekends happen a lot more often than hunting trips.  

I have a ranger.  Buddy has a pioneer 1000.   I’m looking for a Honda now.  Very nice machine, can seat 5 and isn’t like driving a train around like a ranger crew