What is everyone doing for RV Batteries that is working?

Will the cheaper Lead Acid work if I keep fluids in check?  

Is the upgrade to AGM or other inevitable?

How about a disconnect switch or small solar trickle charger while in storage?

Thanks!

Lead acid will be just fine. Keep em charged and out of sun. I went a long time on my 2 batteries on trailer. I recently went to the gel cells and will see what the difference is. 

If you're looking for AGM batteries, check out East Penn near 59th Ave south of I-10. They have Deka AGM's (group 27) for around $100. They are blemished (missing a handle, scratched, etc) but are otherwise new. I run them in my bass boat and have been for 7 years or so. Still going strong. Solid deal.

• Like 1

I changed mine from the 12 volt marine battery to running two 6 volt golf cart batteries connected in series. My last set of T-105 golf cart batteries went 4.5 years before needing replaced, much better lifespan than the marine batteries. I also use a small Harbor Freight solar charger when the trailer isn't in use to help keep the voltage up. 

i built a new box and got a deal on two agm batteries for my trailer. I added a disconnect switch for when its in storage. On my trailer, theres no way to shut off the co2 detector so it kills the battery

28 minutes ago, az41mag said:

I changed mine from the 12 volt marine battery to running two 6 volt golf cart batteries connected in series. My last set of T-105 golf cart batteries went 4.5 years before needing replaced, much better lifespan than the marine batteries. I also use a small Harbor Freight solar charger when the trailer isn't in use to help keep the voltage up. 

Same here on the dual 6v...I don’t run the solar charger in storage but I have a kill switch to prevent any parasitic drain. Check battery water levels periodically and I make sure it’s fully charged when I store it. My buddy keeps a battery tender on his batteries but I don’t have easy access to power on storage so I haven’t done that. 

AGM is less maintenance and can be installed in different orientations and without ventilation so there are advantages. If money is no object check out the Battle Born lithium batteries...I know a few fulltime RVers who e shifted to those and have been very pleased. 

4 minutes ago, mbiewer said:

i built a new box and got a deal on two agm batteries for my trailer. I added a disconnect switch for when its in storage. On my trailer, theres no way to shut off the co2 detector so it kills the battery

Yep I added a kill switch as soon as I got my trailer. Between the clock on the radio, CO2 defector, and a couple other status lights. One of the best mods I’ve made to the trailer and saves a lot of headaches. If batteries are accessible you can just disconnect manually but the switch is handy and very easy to install. 

I buy the big ones from Walmart,  about 100 buck. My 5th wheel takes 4 and the are almost 5 years old. The get charged when I'm plugged in or running the generator.  I never check the water because the are in a terrible spot and have to empty the basement to get to them.

I'll probably just replace all 4 this fall.

whats the price on lithium or where is the best place to price out.

Thanks for that shocker I didn't realize they were that much. 

I remove my batteries when the camper is in storage. I put them on a block of wood in my garage and on a battery tender at all times.   not only is it good for the batteries, but also I don’t want them stolen. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

I remove my batteries when the camper is in storage. I put them on a block of wood in my garage and on a battery tender at all times.   not only is it good for the batteries, but also I don’t want them stolen. 

Not an issue with modern plastic cased batteries. They will self discharge even left on a plastic shelf.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Not an issue with modern plastic cased batteries. They will self discharge even left on a plastic shelf.

That’s why I put a battery tender on them