The Pizza Guy

Looking for new hunting rifle caliber

Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum, thank you in advance for the help. 

I would like to get a new hunting rifle and just wanted some opinions of everyone. 

I’m thinking of 7mm or 300 win mag. 

Try using the search that offered on this site.    This topic has been in a ton of threads.

26079A4A-B14E-4BEA-99AA-9168D10EC832.jpeg

If you provide more information you'll get better answers. Such as what you hunt, how far you shoot, weight considerations, accuracy standards (i.e. sub-MOA) etc.

The 7mm gets my vote, if I could choose one caliber this would be it out of everything out there. 7mm will efficiently kill anything in Az. And if crap hits the fan 7mm is found almost anywhere on the shelf.

• Like 2

I did the same thing years ago, picked the .270 WSM because it's a real flat shooter.

• Like 2

What rifle chamberings do you currently have?  Intended game?  Range/distance? Budget?  One rifle to cover everything? Do you reload?  Muzzle brake or suppressor?

Assuming factory ammo, for coues and antelope and less recoil, perhaps a 6.5 PRC 

A 300 WSM throwing a 150 Nosler Accubond will be flatter with less wind drift (but with a little more recoil) than a 143 ELDX from a 6.5 PRC.  The WSM would have the advantage of heavier wider bullets for elk and bear.

270 WSM, 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag would be good considerations also on the magnum side, and 270 Win or 30-06 on standard cartridges.  Plenty of variety of factory ammo to choose from and find one that your rifle likes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Pizza Guy said:

Hunt every animal in North America 

A guy I know here in Flagstaff took his North American Grand Slam with his 30-06.   I also hunted with a guy who's son took a Kodiak brown bear with a 25-06 and TSX bullet.  As many say, bullets matter more than head stamps.

My recommendation is one of each, and don't stop there. You can't have too many rifles. 😉

That said, these are both fantastic calibers. I may or may not have at least one of each. But if I were starting over, I would probably go with the 7mm Mag first, but only by the slimmest of margins. You can hunt just about anything (big game) in N. America with either. Also, when it comes to big game, there is no such thing as too much rifle, overkill, etc. The only guys who say that are the ones who don't know any better. 

270 Winchester or 280 Remington, if you fell the need for a magnum then 7mm Rem or 300 Winchester.  

If you're trying to decide between 7MM mag and .300 win mag, I would vote 7MM (only because I own a couple of them....).

That being said, I'm now a .30-06 guy.  Both of my adult sons and I all now have .30-06's, and love shooting them.  Fairly predictable accuracy out to med-long range (that's 300-400 yards for us), plus VERY affordable factory ammo available (seems the 7MM mag ammo is quite a bit more expensive...).

Lots of opinions.....   LOL

EVERY North American big game?  I would do something like a .338 Edge.  .300WM/.300RUM/.300NM(I) at a minimum.  Fast twist to push the 230-245.

Brown bear, grizzly, musk ox, bison, Polar bear...those are BIG animals. 

• Like 4