Sign in to follow this  
PhxDT

Taking the boys up to Bear Canyon this weekend- bad idea?

Hoping that last weekend was far more busy, and thinking this weekend won't be so bad.  Am I being too optimistic?

I like to camp on the east side of Bear Canyon and hike down, since that is the less busy side.

That lake is busy every weekend from Easter to Labor Day. 

but I’d say go have fun use ear plugs at night

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oz31p said:

That lake is busy every weekend from Easter to Labor Day. 

but I’d say go have fun use ear plugs at night

First time I camped near Bear Canyon some idiots with an automatic weapon shot for hours in pitch black the first night. Thank goodness they burned up all their ammo that night.

I was up there last weekend. It was busy, no question and very windy. Fished the north side of the lake, one in our group picked up a decent rainbow trout on orange pb. I threw a a few panther martins, no takers. But I would say, definitely bring a craw trap. Raw chicken and I had more than enough for a good boil. Camped much further away from the lake and didn't see really any traffic.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

• Like 10

We normally do a crawdad boil with the guys at work once a year at bear Canyon I will really wish I had pictures of the barrels of crawdads waiting to go into the pot

Spinners and garlic flavored chartreuse power bait

1 hour ago, dmoto said:

I was up there last weekend. It was busy, no question and very windy. Fished the north side of the lake, one in our group picked up a decent rainbow trout on orange pb. I threw a a few panther martins, no takers. But I would say, definitely bring a craw trap. Raw chicken and I had more than enough for a good boil. Camped much further away from the lake and didn't see really any traffic.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Very nice 

I had a trap out in the black last weekend. They were all over the outside, but none went in. I usually catch a few hundred by hand there, but that would have interrupted my drinking this trip. 

• Like 1

Excellent feedback. Thanks all. 

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

It's a drive by lake

I could see that. Sometimes we don’t get anything. You prefer another rim lake?

make sure you wear a mask for symbolism and nothing else.  when driving to/from lake/home, wear masks in your car for your safety, but have fun and breath the fresh air in!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

So, I got home a few hours ago. We fished a few hours Fri night and 7a-1p today. Oddly, the fishing didn’t heat up until about 10a today.  

we caught mostly 11 inch stock stuff, with 3  12/13 Inch guys thrown in. Had a ton a fun. 

my son counted 145 people fishing at the lake, though. Haha. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PhxDT said:

So, I got home a few hours ago. We fished a few hours Fri night and 7a-1p today. Oddly, the fishing didn’t heat up until about 10a today.  

we caught mostly 11 inch stock stuff, with 3  12/13 Inch guys thrown in. Had a ton a fun. 

my son counted 145 people fishing at the lake, though. Haha. 

What were they hitting on bait wise?