dcshorthairs

6.5 Creedmoor Reload Data

I found this on another forum. Do these numbers verify what you guys have been seeing in your performance? Supposedly these numbers are from hornaday. This is from a 24” barrel. What would a 26” barrel do to the speed?

B8D0DB2F-A6DA-4646-848B-68F122BD57FC.png

35 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Fed GM210M or CCI BR-2 LRP.

Lance what size is the correct sized primer for the H4350 in regards to small or large rifle? 

Both the Fed GM210M or CCI BR-2 are LRP.  Both fantastic choices.

If you go with a SRP case, Fed GM205M or CCI BR-4.  

Either works just as well as the others.  

I use Fed GM205M in my 6CM.  I use Fed GM210M in my 6.5SLR.  But use CCI BR-2 & BR-4 in numerous others.

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

Both the Fed GM210M or CCI BR-2 are LRP.  Both fantastic choices.

If you go with a SRP case, Fed GM205M or CCI BR-4.  

Either works just as well as the others.  

I use Fed GM205M in my 6CM.  I use Fed GM210M in my 6.5SLR.  But use CCI BR-2 & BR-4 in numerous others.

Thanks lance. I have been hearing about people going either way on this topic but I think I will stick with large rifle. I would like to mimic the 143 eldx precision hunter as much as possible. Does the srp/lrp make a difference on FPS, burn rate, or accuracy? What’s the pros and cons of using lrp over srp?

FPS differences would be nothing that .1gr+/- of powder can't make up for.  Same for ES/SD.  

Burn rate is determined more by the powder choice than a difference in LRP vs. SRP.  But different primers vary in flame.

Accuracy totally depends on your rifle's preference.  There have been claims both ways on which is more accurate.  I think it boils down to just the final load.  

The main benefit to SRP vs. LRP are there:  brass choices, and longevity.  If you are running at or near max loads, SRP brass should give you a few more firings because primer pockets will not stretch as much due to more brass around the pocket.  Also, some of the best brass only comes in SRP.  Lapua is SRP only.  Alpha and Petersons make both SRP & LRP.  But then ADG only males LRP.  Starline makes both.  Rem, Win, Hornady are LRP only.

To me, if you are hand loading and competent at it, starting with the best components available can help to improve accuracy right off the bat.  Spending a bit extra up front to get high quality components can show up and get you that extra bit of consistency, which helps accuracy.

I was researching SRP vs lrp for my dads 260 Remington and I read a few places about SRP brass having ignition issues when super cold out. Since this rifle might see late season elk and deer hunts I went with LRP brass. 

I dont know how true it is, but it isn't worth missing an elk over. 

Well today I found some h4350 in flagstaff. Ca ranch had 4lbs of it. I loaded six different loads ranging from 40.5 to 41.5. Used federal premium large rifle match with some once fired hornaday brass. Didn’t want to toss it so hoping to get some good results with it. Maybe one of these days when the wind stops blowing I will be able to go test them out

I was able to get out and test some loads. Found that my browning x bolt likes the 41.0 grains of H4350 backed by a federal premium gold match primer. I was impressed with the grouping at 100yds being around 0.475". No signs of pressure stress on the brass which I was happy about. Im not an excellent shooter, but I am very impressed with this load. The ladder loading is the only way to load when testing new powder. Next step now is to load a few more, repeat 100 yards and see how 200 yards handles. Additionally, need to get the chrono and see how much faster these are flying vs the factory loads.

Last question to you all, what is your thoughts on cleaning primer pockets? do you clean them and the flash hole? Neither?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dcshorthairs said:

I was able to get out and test some loads. Found that my browning x bolt likes the 41.0 grains of H4350 backed by a federal premium gold match primer. I was impressed with the grouping at 100yds being around 0.475". No signs of pressure stress on the brass which I was happy about. Im not an excellent shooter, but I am very impressed with this load. The ladder loading is the only way to load when testing new powder. Next step now is to load a few more, repeat 100 yards and see how 200 yards handles. Additionally, need to get the chrono and see how much faster these are flying vs the factory loads.

Last question to you all, what is your thoughts on cleaning primer pockets? do you clean them and the flash hole? Neither?

I always clean them after each firing. I run a uniformer and ream the flash hole on new brass before I even load them. Then I weigh cases and separate them into lots and trim them all to the same length.

Good group BTW.

• Like 1

Yes, clean the primer pockets after each FL sizing.  

If you deburr the flash hole, you only need to do it once at the beginning.

I anneal after each firing too.

With archery over I made it out to the range for the first time in a while. Here is that Superformance / 143ELD-X load at 200 yards with a decent crosswind after the rifle had been sitting in the safe for a while. 

20200914_073420.thumb.jpg.67d9f719c8d7456428e626a51047ce6e.jpg

Thinking the group should have been tighter and having not cleaned the rifle in a while, I thoroughly cleaned it on the bench, shot 3 foulers on a different target, moved 2 clicks down, and here are 4, 5 and 6 after cleaning. 

20200914_091246.thumb.jpg.fb92494a38a22cb0dde46419209d6add.jpg

My final load for my 7# Savage LWH in 6.5CR:

Lapua Brass

CCI Small Magnum Primer

143gr ELD-X

45.0gr Superformance (43.2gr stated earlier was a previous load)

0.003" Jump

2730 +/- 5 FPS 

29 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

If that target is at 200 like the one above it, it looks like you found a load.

Same target at 200 with taped holes, I took the picture so close so I could see through the tape. Not proud of it but I hadn't cleaned the rifle since last fall before my hunts started.

This rifle and load shot these 2 an inch apart at 400 yards last December while doing a quick check outside deer camp. The pic is sideways, but it prints in the same spot as my first group this morning and verified my 2 click down decision before shooting the second group. If there wasn't such a crosswind today,  I may have clicked 1 right. Next time out probably.

20191218_172150.jpg