Outdoor Writer

A Man & His Dog

Well crap. We literally just put my son's lab down at 4:17pm today.  He got her when he was 12 and that was 12 Christmases ago.  Abby was an amazing companion, hunting partner, and family member.   Thanks for posting at such an opportune time.  dang old dogs, they suck you in every time.  Not sure I can show him this yet  but in time.

14 minutes ago, jdown said:

Well crap. We literally just put my son's lab down at 4:17pm today.  He got her when he was 12 and that was 12 Christmases ago.  Abby was an amazing companion, hunting partner, and family member.   Thanks for posting at such an opportune time.  dang old dogs, they suck you in every time.  Not sure I can show him this yet  but in time.

+1

g.png

Really, heavy on the heart, got one I need to put down and a blue healer who doesn't have much longer. I don't want to live thru it anymore and I teared up.

• Sad 1

If it helps, we used a in home euthanesia for the first time and dr was absolutely amazing and brought some peace to know she was comfortable until the end.   Happy to recommend her.    

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jdown said:

If it helps, we used a in home euthanesia for the first time and dr was absolutely amazing and brought some peace to know she was comfortable until the end.   Happy to recommend her.    

If it's in the valley, please pm me the number

• Like 1

Pets at Peace. 602-818-6999. Dr Tiffany. She did everything perfect. Quiet, caring, took time to explain every step. Stood back when she needed too to allow us time and shared so much empathy. 

I'm sorry you need her but she made it as peaceful an experience as it possibly could be.  I'll never drop one off at a vet again.  Worth a little more.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jdown said:

Pets at Peace. 602-818-6999. Dr Tiffany. She did everything perfect. Quiet, caring, took time to explain every step. Stood back when she needed too to allow us time and shared so much empathy. 

I'm sorry you need her but she made it as peaceful an experience as it possibly could be.  I'll never drop one off at a vet again.  Worth a little more.   

She is really good and compassionate. She came to my home when my lab Molly had to go.

I learned more from my first GSP, than he ever did from me. Dogs are just about as perfect as it gets. Love them like family. Actually love them more than some family! 

• Like 3

My heartless side said "Boxer to Lab" -- definitely a trade up! (Close friend had a boxer that hated men.)

On the other side:  we have put down 3 dogs (all 13+ yrs old) in the last 3 years.  Two were at our standard Vet.  The other dog was my favorite, "privileged" dog at an out-of-town Vet.  The latter Vet came out to the car (well before covid) and gave just one shot.  The regular vet did a relaxer first which resulted in spasms and the one dog whacked his head and started bleeding.  Guess which I thought was the better experience?  The final dog lived a year and a half longer than we expected and we ended up with a puppy before he passed -- I think that helped ease the loss greatly.  A helpful hint is to have someone drive you as you probably will not be able to see to drive on the way home.  Last week makes a year since we had to put him down.  All three dogs let us know "it was time" which helped a lot so that that horrible question "Did we jump the gun on this?" did not plague us.