Sign in to follow this  
azbirdhunter88

Mags

Tomorrow will be a hard day for me. My 9 year old shorthair pointer Mags will be chasing and pointing quail and pheasant in heaven. The last week she has been slow to eat and her stomach has been getting hard. Could just tell something was off with her as I’ve had her since a pup. Took her to an emergency vet last night for X-rays and bad news was confirmed. She has cancer looking tumors in her chest and all over her lungs. Crazy how within a week it has gotten so bad so fast. She stays outside but has been an indoor dog since yesterday and getting first class treatment. Been eating chicken, steak, and anything else she wants. This dog has pointed thousands of coveys of quail and a pile of pheasants from Arizona to Kansas. Trained a lot of other dogs also for people. I’m sure it will really set in tomorrow but man even tough guys can get tore up from a good dog going away. RIP Mags. 

15FF6025-11DE-4DA3-80AB-72C1B1D8766A.jpeg

C6A9804E-1FB9-4CC4-AC9B-D72BDE875AB6.jpeg

277BBCA4-F26D-4E09-81F5-55FC913CCDBB.jpeg

F8CE2CEF-ABF6-4918-A642-D7620373F637.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

We always outlive them.  I never get emotionally to animals. Learned that at a young age. No point in it. They either run away, get sold off because they are chitheads or dealt with accordingly. Not to say they don't get loved but it is what it is.

5 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

We always outlive them.  I never get emotionally to animals. Learned that at a young age. No point in it. They either run away, get sold off because they are chitheads or dealt with accordingly. Not to say they don't get loved but it is what it is.

Wow... 

• Like 7

That sucks buddy.  I have an old man, Winchester, that is 16.  I dread the morning I wake up....and he doesn't. 

• Like 4

Just now, lancetkenyon said:

That sucks buddy.  I have an old man, Winchester, that is 16.  I dread the morning I wake up....and he doesn't. 

Ya gets hard when they start slowing down. 

• Like 1

So sad, especially when you see them heading down hill.  My black lab is pushing his time too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Ya have to do what’s right for the animal. 

100%!

• Like 3

Funny thing is that as slow as she is to get around right now she did something pretty cool. I have some Mearns quail mounts set up on a table and she grabbed one this morning and was walking around the house with it looking for me. Gave it to me and went back to her bed. 

• Like 3

It sucks. I’ve shot several dogs in the past but I can’t bring myself to do it anymore. Two of the 4 I have now are getting close. I hope they die in their sleep. Sorry for your loss. My pups are my kids.

Just now, muledeerarea33? said:

It sucks. I’ve shot several dogs in the past but I can’t bring myself to do it anymore. Two of the 4 I have now are getting close. I hope they die in their sleep. Sorry for your loss. My pups are my kids.

Ya it seems the older we get the harder it is on us. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Nice post, not surprising ...

• Like 1