IA Born

Telluride Fishing

After cancelling our two week summer vacation for a variety of reasons, we have decided to head to Telluride the end of this month.  We've never been there and we're going to be doing some mountain biking and 'sploring.  I'm also going to be taking my fly rods and waders (as is my son) so I can spend part of a day or two hitting some local streams/rivers.  Any suggestions for where to go throw some flies in the Telluride area without getting too lost?  Or suggestions for a local fly shop (or shops) up there that has a solid reputation to get info from?  Much appreciated!

And if there are good mountain bike trails that aren't crazy technical, that's good info to have, too!

Thanks again and make it a great day on purpose!

There is a trout pond right in Telluride Mountain Village that I used to take my kids to.
You can also try Burro Bridge, Fish Creek between Dunton and Groundhog, West Dolores River south of Dunton, Groundhog Lake, Groundhog Creek if you can find access.  McPhee Reservoir near Dolores is great because of the variety of fish. Narraguinep between Dolores and Pleasant view uses to be great but I haven’t fished since they no longer allow boats.  Miramonte lake south of Norwood is full and fishing was great 3 weeks ago  

There are plenty of opportunities in the area that are closer to Telluride. Most I mentioned are 25-50 miles away. 

• Like 1

Haven't hit all of those but Ground Hog, McPhee, and the west fork of the Dolores are all good stuff! The west fork seems to get better in mid to late July for me anyway, but the small mouth just above McPhee should be solid about now.

• Like 1

My two favorite rivers in that vicinity are the tail water section of the Uncompahgre River out of Ridgeway Reservoir (especially during the dead of winter) and the Lake Fork River, specifically that portion above Lake San Cristobal. The Lake Fork forms at the base of Handies Peak (which is an easy 14'er if you want to bag a peak) and is one of the most beautiful places I've ever fished.

With that said, since you will be in SW Colorado this month, there is a hatch that must be fished to be believed, and that is the salmon fly hatch in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison River. While some sections are accessible on foot (not for the faint of heart), I highly recommend hiring a guide with a boat for your trip. You'll want a 9' 6wt and a reel with good drag. This hatch is one of the best opportunities for a legit 30" trout, but you'll have to fight through a ton of fish in the 20"-24" range to find one.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1