ctafoya

Fires

Hadn't intended to post this, but this fire thread primed the pump. Can't believe people's stupidity! Well ...

Got back to my overflow dispersed camping spot at Big Lake about 9 p.m. Memorial Day. "Healthy" campfire going at campsite about 90 yards away. Had no idea who was there (previous campers I'd befriended there had left earlier that day), so thought it best not to approach that evening. Hopped into bed, only to watch side of my tent light up every 5-6 mins about 4-5 times as stuff was thrown on the fire. Could hear voices and laughter.

Next morning I got up about 5:30, stepped outside to see two individuals breaking camp. Strapped my .357 on and walked over with phone in hand and immediately took photo of fire pit with active smoke. Also got photo of them packing up camp with car and smoking fire pit in-frame. Two guys in early 20s, N. Mexico plates on vehicle. Confronted them about the fire. Their response: "Yeah we knew, but we got cold." Asked them if they were going to put fire out. They said they'd poured all their water on the fire and that it'd be okay (see pics).

Waited 'til they closed trunk (to see plate #), so I could take photo. Driver jumped out and started rummaging in the trunk. Told him to take his time, but I WAS taking a pic of his license plate. Boy, did he get really apologetic all of a sudden! After a short conversation, they drove off.

All this took place before the wind picked up. Took me 10 mins, a shovel, and 7 gallons of water to seriously kill all the embers. Also picked up all the cans and bottles they'd left in the fire pit.

Stopped by FS office in Lakeside on way home. Left my contact # for FS LEO to get in touch with me. He did by email and said he'd do his best to follow up. I sent him pics in reply (I've omitted the ones here of the car and people).

I was actually up there fishing on a Thursday in 2011 when the Wallow Fire started. FS came and chased us away from just north of Crescent Lake, then came with a posse the next morning and closed down the entire Apache Forest. That was a crazy/scary time!

Back to today --- we can't get tags to hunt in N. Mexico, but their younger generation can come over and leave unattended fires burning! Of course, way too many similarly mentally challenged Arizonans out there now as well. Chaps my hide!

More to come (unfortunately), I'm sure.

Rant over, fingers crossed ...

Fire - BigLakeB-2020.jpg

Fire - BigLakeC-2020.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Lv2hnt said:

Hadn't intended to post this, but this fire thread primed the pump. Can't believe people's stupidity! Well ...

Got back to my overflow dispersed camping spot at Big Lake about 9 p.m. Memorial Day. "Healthy" campfire going at campsite about 90 yards away. Had no idea who was there (previous campers I'd befriended there had left earlier that day), so thought it best not to approach that evening. Hopped into bed, only to watch side of my tent light up every 5-6 mins about 4-5 times as stuff was thrown on the fire. Could hear voices and laughter.

Next morning I got up about 5:30, stepped outside to see two individuals breaking camp. Strapped my .357 on and walked over with phone in hand and immediately took photo of fire pit with active smoke. Also got photo of them packing up camp with car and smoking fire pit in-frame. Two guys in early 20s, N. Mexico plates on vehicle. Confronted them about the fire. Their response: "Yeah we knew, but we got cold." Asked them if they were going to put fire out. They said they'd poured all their water on the fire and that it'd be okay (see pics).

Waited 'til they closed trunk (to see plate #), so I could take photo. Driver jumped out and started rummaging in the trunk. Told him to take his time, but I WAS taking a pic of his license plate. Boy, did he get really apologetic all of a sudden! After a short conversation, they drove off.

All this took place before the wind picked up. Took me 10 mins, a shovel, and 7 gallons of water to seriously kill all the embers. Also picked up all the cans and bottles they'd left in the fire pit.

Stopped by FS office in Lakeside on way home. Left my contact # for FS LEO to get in touch with me. He did by email and said he'd do his best to follow up. I sent him pics in reply (I've omitted the ones here of the car and people).

I was actually up there fishing on a Thursday in 2011 when the Wallow Fire started. FS came and chased us away from just north of Crescent Lake, then came with a posse the next morning and closed down the entire Apache Forest. That was a crazy/scary time!

Back to today --- we can't get tags to hunt in N. Mexico, but their younger generation can come over and leave unattended fires burning! Of course, way too many similarly mentally challenged Arizonans out there now as well. Chaps my hide!

Fire - BigLakeB-2020.jpg

Fire - BigLakeC-2020.jpg

Be careful Tom.

Just heard from liable source, Payson has a threat to have the town burnt down at 10pm tonight staring in the National forest from the south. Please keeps eyes and ears open. This would take it to the next level..

Edge:

Thanks --- there were 2 other campsites with people I'd gotten to know an easy shout away ...

16 minutes ago, Lv2hnt said:

Edge:

Thanks --- there were 2 other campsites with people I'd gotten to know an easy shout away ...

I try to police my trash to the best of my ability, picking up everything I leave. I won’t dig cig butts out of the dirt that others burry but I always, ALWAYS!!! Put my fire out! To the point that water is pouring out of the cool wet rocks!! I hope these people get charged.

• Like 1

I do the same before we call it a night. Don't want a forest fire outside my front door. I've seen what's left of thos sights..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lv2hnt said:

Fire - BigLakeB-2020.jpg

Fire - BigLakeC-2020.jpg

Tom,

Same ole chit every year.

So I'm camped near Blue Ridge Re. Target shooting all around us, it sounds like a war zone.

I like minding my own business butI like the forest more

Can't find a number to report these troglodytes other than 911. All the ranger stations are closed according to the Coconino forest website

Or Coconino sheriffs off ice, anyone one here from flag or happy Jack got the number.. Now you probably have fires burning ,,