Sign in to follow this  
sherman

Look for advice on boots

I am looking for advice on a new pair of boots. I have been running Danner Pronghorn boots but for some reason my foot has grown at 40 years old. I have been looking at the newer style pronghorns and a pair of schee's I would like a 6" and around $200. Let me know what has worked the best for you all

best advice is there is a boat load of better boots than danner now I have had probly 10 pairs and all the ones from 5 years ago were awesome now the new ones are terrible and maybe last 1 season.  take a look at the midweight crispis or a mountain boot from REI go try them all on youll be surprised

• Like 2

I'm partial to a particular model of Keen boots that I found at REI several years ago.  They fit my foot better and with more comfort than any boot I had ever owned (Hiked Havasupai one week after purchasing them with ZERO issues.)!  I have owned two of this model now, and still have a back-up brand new pair in my closet for when the current pair wears-out.  LOL  With so many different boots to choose from and so many different feet, walking style, etc., that what works best for one person doesn't necessarily work for the next.  That being said, whatever brand/style you start to target, I would recommend going to a good shoe store (or REI) for some experienced sizing/try-on coaching to try to get the best for your shape/style of foot.

Also, here's a recent thread for you to browse:  

Good luck!!

• Like 1

I just bought the Salomon 4D 3 GTX on amazon last month for 239. Looks like they are now 229. Good boot so far

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stanley said:

I'm partial to a particular model of Keen boots that I found at REI several years ago.  They fit my foot better and with more comfort than any boot I had ever owned (Hiked Havasupai one week after purchasing them with ZERO issues.)!  I have owned two of this model now, and still have a back-up brand new pair in my closet for when the current pair wears-out.  LOL  With so many different boots to choose from and so many different feet, walking style, etc., that what works best for one person doesn't necessarily work for the next.  That being said, whatever brand/style you start to target, I would recommend going to a good shoe store (or REI) for some experienced sizing/try-on coaching to try to get the best for your shape/style of foot.

Also, here's a recent thread for you to browse:  

Good luck!!

+1

BB.jpg

I have had a set of Crispi Nevada boots for a few years now and absolutely love them.

Zamberlan and Scarpa are both great. I agree with Stan on his advice to a T and I also have a pair of Keen's that fit me like a glove. My feet have widened over the years and the wide toe box of the Keens works really well for me. Try on a bunch and see what works best for you! In general I like an American or European full grain, one piece upper with no lining, wide toe box, and stitch down construction. Not many out there that fit that description so I compromise on one feature or the other.

I bought Lowa's.  More than $200...but they have some models you can get on sale for that.  So far best boot I have ever owned.

• Like 1

Lowa Tibet for a heavier boot, but dang good in all around hunting.  Also on the lighter side, Salomon quests.  Do your feet a service and use darn tough socks and a real boot. The pronghorns are fine for shooting doves, but your feet will really notice the difference with using a solid boot, well fit insoles ie., greet superfeet but dont buy them based on your size, buy them where your arch falls, ie., i have an 11, I bought a 13 and trimmed the toe.  

I put the same insoles in tibets and quests and very happy.  Tibets are pricey, look at shoe.com and others for 20-30% off.  My buddy laughed at me for 2 seasons about my Tibets and he ended up buying now 3 pairs.

Socks stay away from cotton and crap, get quality wool socks you can get lighter ones for summer and little thicker for winter if you want.  I run the same sock year around from darn tough.  I even use wool socks (very thin pair) when i offshore fish using my alaskan sneakers XtraTuff boots,

Want to make your head spin, go read on rokslide.com about boots.  I ordered about 13 pairs of boots all at once and tried them on from a ton of companies.  After that experiment I found that Lowas was the best for my foot.  I am a wide and even if a company says its a wide, they weren't wide enough. 

Yes, your foot will grow in your 40s but all other stuff shrinks, not sure why

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 6:44 AM, sherman said:

I am looking for advice on a new pair of boots. I have been running Danner Pronghorn boots but for some reason my foot has grown at 40 years old. I have been looking at the newer style pronghorns and a pair of schee's I would like a 6" and around $200. Let me know what has worked the best for you all

Hanwag Alaska GTX w/ custom footbed from Lathop & Sons Boot Co.  Will cost plenty.  Plan on Dahlgren socks, or any similar premium sock.  Only 1 pr. needed with these boots.

forepaw