Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Meat Grinders (Updated with Video)

I've been processing my own meat for a number of years now with great results using a LEM 3/4 hp grinder. The grinder runs as well as the day I first used it, and has chewed through at least a dozen elk, probably twice that many deer, several antelope, javelina, etc. I am really happy with it, but decided long ago that at some point I would upgrade to a bigger one that can really crank out the meat. I am thinking this may be the year and have been looking primarily at three different brands LEM, Weston, and Cabela's. Overall I've been very happy with LEM, but am always willing to try something better. So my main question is, who has used more than one of these brands of grinders and what are your thoughts about the differences. Not to offend anyone, but I'm not interested in hearing from the typical "Ford/Chevy" guys who are so blindly in love with their own brand that they can't see that someone might be making something better. I'm happy to hear what you use and why you like it, but I really wold like to hear a comparison between the three.

Side note: When I upgrade, I will probably go with a 1.5 hp or larger.

Thanks

Get the largest throat and biggest plate you can. Cabelas pro has a 42 plate 19-23 pounds a minute. I was spoiled with a 5 horse 3 phase commercial hobart so nothing compares to that. My cabelas has pumped out hundreds of thousands of pounds of game and still going. Id love a bigger plate but not til this one tanks. Always check the bargain cave for the d!cks who use one for a season and take it back for full refund.https://www.cabelas.com/product/home-cabin/food-processing/food-grinders/pc/104798880/c/104723280/sc/104364180/carnivore-hp-grinder/2111981.uts?slotId=3

• Like 1

I went with the cabelas carnivore 1 horse I believe and am very happy with it so far, really chews some meat up. And although its not as nice as the 30 lb stuffer we picked up off here it has a nice screw auger style attachment for stuffing that works pretty well. nothing worse than using a grinder for stuffing sausage. 

We’ve been using a cabelas 1.75hp for a lot of years now and for the most part it has been good. It’s processed a hundred animals probably. That being said, i would personally look for a used Hobart if i was doing it again. Commercial grade grinders work a lot better than the countertop models. 

Whichever one you get, make sure it has metal gears. Many of them have plastic gears and they suck. 

I have a LEM #22 neck 1 HP big bite that is awesome.  It goes thru meat about as fast as I can feed it.  I just did around 60lbs a month ago and never had to clean the plate out once.   Great machine with lots of power.

4 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Doesnt sound like the lem has let you down. 

It has not let me down at all. The second grind on the burger is where the process slows down and turns into a literal grind, that is the biggest reason for wanting a bigger neck. I can't keep up with how fast my .75hp LEM chews through the meat on the course grind, it is the second grind that SUCKS!

I just ordered the dual grind attachment and may have to buy some pork butts and make sausage to test it out once it arrives.

1 hour ago, rossislider said:

It has not, the second grind on the burger is where the process slows down and turns into a literal grind, that is the biggest reason for wanting a bigger neck. I can't keep up with how fast my .75hp LEM chews through the meat on the course grind, it is the second grind that SUCKS!

I just ordered the dual grind attachment and may have to buy some pork butts and make sausage to test it out once it arrives.

Second grind is slow I agree! I started doing some sausage and burger in the larger grind (1 pass) and some with the smaller grind (1 pass) there is a difference but not enough that it bothers me. For anything special I still run thru twice. I’m only grinding 2-400lbs a year though so your opinion may be different. The double grind attachment looks awesome! I’ll wait for your review before ordering.

• Like 1

Mine is 1hp cabelas grinder, 15 years old at least.  Done great for me and the blades I get from amazon. I don't just process our animals, but several other people on the side. It's got a big throat and is easy to break down and clean. 

I ordered the dual grinder attachment mentioned previously from Amazon and received it yesterday. I was a bit skeptical that it would work well without bogging down, so I wanted to try it ASAP. I figured I would send it back if I wasn't happy with it. 

IT WILL NOT BE GETTING SENT BACK!!! 

This thing is amazing! I tested it by grinding 20 pounds of pork (unfortunately I didn't have any wild game that needed grinding). It chewed through the double grind as fast as I could feed the tube. I went through all 20 pounds, double ground, in well under 5 minutes, probably quicker. Grinding the burger is by far the slowest part of meat processing for my. But with the second "fine grind" no longer necessary, I bet I cut the burger time down by at least 75% if not more. If you have a LEM grinder, this is a must! 

I probably saved myself a big chunk of money as I no longer plan to upgrade my grinder. 

20200608_105057.thumb.jpg.9bf33f554ac64cb82cf43c8d81e14438.jpg20200608_105033.thumb.jpg.335c76f338b0db8d1f7ec4f3640ecd47.jpg20200608_105004.thumb.jpg.debbb51d92524a9af98b28d93cf92324.jpg20200608_101333.thumb.jpg.2bde21ff0b86d1bfeb3809f536980240.jpg

• Like 2

If anyone happens to know if this is available for the cabelas grinders, I'm in!  We just upgraded from the 3/4 (after about 10 years) to the 1.5hp last year for this exact reason.  Good to know.. thanks!