az_runner

Pop-Up Campers, good or bad idea?

I'm very comfortable in my Kodiak canvas tent with good foam pads and a little buddy heater when it is cold.  The dynamic changes dramatically when my wife or girls go.  Like so many other things, I have found women do a lot things when dating or younger but once married and they start getting older they stop doing many of the things that attracted you to them.  If your wife is going to go and you want her to continue going then I would try to make her as comfortable as you can reasonably afford.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, knothead said:

Like so many other things, I have found women do a lot things when dating or younger but once married and they start getting older they stop doing many of the things that attracted you to them.  If your wife is going to go and you want her to continue going then I would try to make her as comfortable as you can reasonably afford.

This can go down lots of paths...all true. LoL And yes the comfort of the trailer and bathroom was the selling point for my wife and keeps her going camping...

• Like 1

Knothead nailed it.

I have owned 2 pop ups. They are nice but still a tent on wheels. I own a toyhauler now with all of the luxuries of home. It keeps my wife happy. And when it is hot the AC is nice or when cold the furnace feels pretty good. If I go out without her as often as not I take the Kodiak Canvas tent, a Cabelas oversized cot and a small table. I run a little Buddy heater and 2 battery powered CO2 detectors if it's cold. I spent my honeymoon on a 2 week elk hunt in it.

Buy a used camp trailer and a Kodiak Canvas tent and you have all bases covered.

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 5:20 AM, creed said:

Knothead nailed it.

I have owned 2 pop ups. They are nice but still a tent on wheels. I own a toyhauler now with all of the luxuries of home. It keeps my wife happy. And when it is hot the AC is nice or when cold the furnace feels pretty good. If I go out without her as often as not I take the Kodiak Canvas tent, a Cabelas oversized cot and a small table. I run a little Buddy heater and 2 battery powered CO2 detectors if it's cold. I spent my honeymoon on a 2 week elk hunt in it.

Buy a used camp trailer and a Kodiak Canvas tent and you have all bases covered.

Thanks Creed. I'm going to start trying to piece together a canvas tent setup... it just makes sense to me more and more as you guys suggested it a few different times. As for the pop-up or (maybe even a travel trailer if I can figure out the storage), I know what I need out of it and what I want out it. Unfortunately those two things don't always match up when you start tossing around the idea of letting go of so much cash in these jacked up times. I'll keep an eye on things and see what used options come on the market over the next year or so before pulling the trigger of anything. 

Very much appreciate the input from all you guys on this.

They have there place. But as stated above people usually start at a pop up then Upgrade.  I liked my pop up but it didn’t have ac or a freezer.  Also it gets colder because you are basically on sleeping n a board the cold air travels under all night. Now I got a smoking deal on a 21 foot travel trailer and I will never go back.  It nice to have all the amenities. Also when your in those hot hunts you can stay out longer because you have access to a shower.  Granted it’s a quick army style shower to better than nothing.   Every time I hav went on the summer hunts, if I went home early it was from just needing a shower to wash away the misery.  Lmao.  

On 6/8/2020 at 10:04 PM, knothead said:

I'm very comfortable in my Kodiak canvas tent with good foam pads and a little buddy heater when it is cold.  The dynamic changes dramatically when my wife or girls go.  Like so many other things, I have found women do a lot things when dating or younger but once married and they start getting older they stop doing many of the things that attracted you to them.  If your wife is going to go and you want her to continue going then I would try to make her as comfortable as you can reasonably afford. 

Funny part though is the vast difference in opinion on what this actually means to you and to HER....lol

I'm in the canvas Wall Tent with comfortable cots and heater group. I don't like being limited to certain places to camp because a trailer is involved. I like being able to take the truck wherever I want to go and hunt from there. No right way, just whatever is comfortable and works for you.

• Like 1

I'm a camper guy that keeps trying to convince my wife a wall tent with a wood stove is awesome. She ain't havin it.  

• Haha 1