n2horns

Sleeping in bed of truck, insulation

For those that sleep in the bed of your trucks, how are you insulating the bed and keeping warm?  I sleep on a pad, however I feel the cold from the side and head of the bed.  Is anyone using carpet, reflectix or other method to insulate the bed?

I have a Exped MegaMat 10 that i use with a Nemo Salsa sleeping bag.  Not cheap, but very warm and insulated and I sleep better on that than I do at home. I think it’s the most comfortable setup possible for truck camping. 

• Like 1

I own a furniture manufacturing company and had the guys make me three pads that zip together and fit around the wheel wells. They are 4" foam and never get cold on them. I'm 70 and been using them for 15 years.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ringer said:

I own a furniture manufacturing company and had the guys make me three pads that zip together and fit around the wheel wells. They are 4" foam and never get cold on them. I'm 70 and been using them for 15 years.

Well with those of us up there in age we are getting numb and don’t feel much anyways. Guess it’s just an old age thing!

• Like 1

I too use the Exped Mega Mat, love it, it is just the sides get cold. I may do a carpet liner and reflectix and call it good.  I called bed rug and see if they would make a half kit, they said no.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Zermätte Memory Foam Roll Up Mattress Floor Bed - Camping Mattress/Travel Bed/Portable Guest Sleeping Mat/Cot Pad-with Waterproof Cover, Travel Bag, Gel Eye Mask & Ear Plugs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TGDP6PP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ir.4Eb2FNJP3Z

This I can leave in there full time and not worry.  I think I'm getting an Amazon delivery in a day or so!

3" foam pad

I’ve honestly never had a problem with just my sleeping bag in weather 30 and above. Below that I’ve had a pad of some sort under me. Sucks getting up in the morning but I’ve never been Susan enough to need anything else. That set up oz posted does look nice though. Are you bare backing or do you have a camper shell on your truck?

16 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I’ve honestly never had a problem with just my sleeping bag in weather 30 and above. Below that I’ve had a pad of some sort under me. Sucks getting up in the morning but I’ve never been Susan enough to need anything else. That set up oz posted does look nice though. Are you bare backing or do you have a camper shell on your truck?

Camper shell. But I’ve used it on the ground, on the floor of a tent and on a cot. 

• Like 1

Ok here goes.  In1989 I bought a new pu for tearing around baja and the mainland and a bud who owned mountaineer campers in Tempe told me I needed a steel frame shell.  back to AZ in 1993-both me and the kid got a kick out of hunting apache county coyotes in jan and feb and this made things comfortable.

Insulated was an option at mountaineer and universal both.  A good choice.  I knew I needed to be off the bed from a lifetime of truck camping. Built a  10" high frame-just above the wheel well, decked with melamine and put a 4" high density foam pad on it.  Cheap & light-a carpet kit took up too much space &was quite heavy. 

If there are no mfgers of steel campers in AZ there are a couple in Gallup.

Sold my last mountaineer to a member in 2010

Lee

Ps carpet doesn't insulate much but carpet pad is excellent