MoistCarpet

Best in class tripod, weight isn’t a issue.

I’m looking for a tank of a tripod that isn’t outlandishly over priced and can take a beating. 
this lane seems sort of intentionally convoluted, any information is welcome. 

58 minutes ago, 1denogean said:

Slik 700 DX it will out last you. That and a manfrotto head best money you ever spent 

^^^^^

This.  I have a Slik 700 DX.  It's aluminum, somewhat heavy, bulky but tough as nails.  Stands up to winds that will send most tripods to the truck.  Not one you'd want to carry but a great "truck pod."  Top this tripod with stout, high quality fluid movement head and you truly will have a tank of a tripod. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MoistCarpet said:

The manfrotto 055 seems nice too 😯

I've got an aluminum version of the 055.  Great tripod however when fully extended, still not tall enough to glass standing with a straight spotter or binos mounted on a tall Outdoorsmans adapter.  Fully extended tripods are unstable any kind of wind.  BTW, I am about 5'10" tall.  That being said, 90% of the glassing I do is from a stool or chair of some kind so a tall tripod is not critical in most situations.

4 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

I've got an aluminum version of the 055.  Great tripod however when fully extended, still not tall enough to glass standing with a straight spotter or binos mounted on a tall Outdoorsmans adapter.  Fully extended tripods are unstable any kind of wind.  BTW, I am about 5'10" tall.  That being said, 90% of the glassing I do is from a stool or chair of some kind so a tall tripod is not critical in most situations.

Yeah I have a shorter one now and having something I can stand behind is ideal. Does anyone have experience with BOG tripods? 

If you are going all out not much can compete with Really Right Stuff but you are going to pay. There is a reason all the PRS guys use this stuff or copies from other vendors. All the ARCA and picatinny adapters are available and easily swappable, super durable, super adjustable, and lighter than they should be for being built like a tank.  That being said I will go from CF manfrotto and CF benro combo to an Outdoorsman for this season.  I want to go a bit lighter and giving support to the local guys is a big plus for me. Even though expensive still half the RRS gear. 

• Thanks 1

Nice avatar in theses times.. Got my doctors on a silk, crazy heavy and strong

• Thanks 1