realhunter123

NM 23/24 ELK Honey Hole , no joke

Get some friends OZ31p. haha.  Just kidding.  I am trying to get my butt back to Alaska and the money guys spend to hunt there both guided or unguided is crazy.  It is getting harder to get in the field after Moose or Caribou for less than 10k.  I read a good article about how the baby boomers are all coming to retirement age and now they are gonna start spending their money on hunts more and more.  A guided Moose hunt is like 20k now simply because of demand.  IT SUCKS!!!

• Like 3

Hunting has gone pay to play and getting worse all the time. The tradition will die out because of it. New blood will have no opportunity unless they have a fat wallet. 

Unfortunately hunting has been heading this direction for years thanks to social media. 

With draw odds constantly decreasing and prices constantly increasing new hunter recruitment is definitely in danger.

23 hours ago, oz31p said:

I can’t believe there’s even a market for a guided hunt 

just reminds me how small my circle is. 

i’ll hunt with you as long as i’m able. No guides here. Never have, never will. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, brademan76 said:

Hunting has gone pay to play and getting worse all the time. The tradition will die out because of it. New blood will have no opportunity unless they have a fat wallet. 

9 minutes ago, longshooter said:

Unfortunately hunting has been heading this direction for years thanks to social media. 

With draw odds constantly decreasing and prices constantly increasing new hunter recruitment is definitely in danger.

I disagree. It's basically a lottery, when the tag owner draws it is up to them. Now, if your talking Texas private land hunts, that'sdifferent. Or any other private land hunts.

Public land and access to it is shrinking. People draw tags and what used to be their initial thought of a DIY hunt, more and more consider a guided hunt/paying tresspass fee, etc right off the bat.

Private landowners used to grant permission for people to hunt their property. Liability and money for acces has all but taken that opportunity out of the equation. Guides and wealthy gobble up leases on those private lands and those leases expand every year as outfitters pack more and more clients into a season.

I'm very intimate with this business, not only in the west, but across all of north america and throughout the world. The future of hunting is not pretty.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

I disagree. It's basically a lottery, when the tag owner draws it is up to them. Now, if your talking Texas private land hunts, that'sdifferent. Or any other private land hunts.

So you think new hunter recruitment due to lack of opportunity is not in danger?

I get private land in Texas but you also got unit wide Landowner tags as well
Look at the increase in landowner tags in New Mexico . Unit 16A archery Elk $16,000 plus. Look at the increasing prices in Mexico on mule deer hunts. 10k to 17,500 plus Trophy fees . Mexican Big Horn tags 60k to 80k . Look at the increasing landowner tags in Nevada and Utah. It’s out of control from supply and demand obviously. And why is that?   

I personally have friends in Az and other states who have given up because they can’t draw a tag and can’t afford to pay to play . It is negatively effecting new hunter recruitment 

• Like 3

Again, you are talking private property hunts. 

Plenty of youth opportunity out there.

Now if you are thinking youth opportunity is killing a 350 bull, that's a differentstory. Stand in line with the rest of us.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Now if you are thinking youth opportunity is killing a 350 bull, that's a differentstory. Stand in line with the rest of us.

He actually isn’t.  You can hunt whatever you want on public ground every year if you can afford it.  In NM for instance unit wide landowner tags are available as he stated.  So for $2500-$20,000 you can circumvent the draw and go hunt public every year.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, yotebuster said:
1 hour ago, Roosevelt Mark said:
1 hour ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

im talking about unit wide landowner tags which means I buy a unit wide tag and can hunt anywhere in the unit being public or private. There are private ranch tags too but you are only allowed to hunt on the private land the ranch tag was issued to.

On 6/19/2020 at 9:59 AM, Fakehunter123 said:

Posts like this make me laugh and cringe. I have lived down that way and hunted the mentioned area for awhile now. The post is somewhat true. There are elk in the mentioned areas however the number of “big bulls” isn’t that great and most the elk hang on the private once they feel pressured. The bull mentioned/pictured wasn’t a secret if you lived in the area or had friends that did or even followed certain people on social media. Lots of people tried to kill that bull for a handful of years and couldn’t get it done for what ever reason (must not be the walk in the park you make the area out to be). The bull blew up this year and apparently some guide had a client pay a landowner to gain access and kill the bull. If I had the money to get access and shoot that bull you bet your butt I would have done it! However, not sure what your thoughts on posting this is going to do. Make you feel better that someone killed the bull you hunted and now you’re ruining the spot for them? News flash, it will ruin the spot for a lot more than just some dude you have some beef with or a guy that paid money to shoot a bull. Lots of serious DIY guys as well as a few guides and a handful of junior hunters every year now have you to thank for potentially ruining a spot they liked to hunt just because you got your feelings hurt. Grow up.  

This area has already been over hunted by these guides for years I know them all personally, that being said It’s a big area so is not gonna help anyone kill a giant. Everyone will probably get there asses kick and give up very difficult unit to hunt unless you know the  pockets that hold bulls or get lucky road hunting. Good luck! 

• Like 1