lonne

Mask Requirements

Queen Creek mayor says no masks required. 

18 minutes ago, JSR said:

Queen Creek mayor says no masks required. 

I will support mask free zones, good for QC!

I own an essential retail business and did not require employees to wear masks due to freedom of choice and we were open during the shutdown. I received both  curses and praise during that time.  No infections to date, knock wood..  Now, it is state mandated so they are.  On the other side, all it would take is one infected, asymptomatic employee to come to work, possibly infect all of his coworkers  leaving me even more short handed than I already am, and  then I have to close the store for deep cleaning.  A little bit of caution won't be the end of the world, and if it prevents even one more person from catching the virus and slows this crap down, so be it.  Masks requirements are a non issue to me. My wife has a suppressed immune system, so she would likely die if she contracts it.  Thats a big issue to me.

• Like 2

any doctors here or that anyone knows that will write a doctors note to not wear a mask due to breathing restrictions, excessive moisture and mildew buildup in the mouth and lungs, increased pulse and heart rates, deformation of the face, and most important, chicks that got their DSL inflated for 5k are now hiding them?

Just don't do it, it obvious your not going to where one. Stay safe.

need it for comifornia when i go there to fish

FWIW. The following was written by Zahid Saeed -- University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellow · July 1, 2018 to present.

Dear Arizona,

I’ve spent the last five years completing my medical training at some of the finest hospitals in the Valley. In that time, I’ve seen incredible cases, with some great saves as well as my fair share of death. It all pales in comparison to the last three months of my career. I’ve spent the better part of that time in the ICU dealing with Covid-19. The physical, mental and emotional toll of this pandemic has been heavy on me, as it has my colleagues. I see it in their eyes. In the tones of their voices. Something has changed. It’s not just profound fatigue, it’s resignation. Resignation to the fact that patients continue to pile in, at an exponentially increasing rate. That some of these patients are the sickest that we’ve ever seen. To the fact that our community has seemingly abandoned us and many are convinced that one of the most difficult & turbulent periods of modern history is somehow a hoax or conspiracy. The irony of being called a healthcare hero does seem to echo rather hollowly. That voices of medicine, science & reason are being drowned out by the incessant nonstop drone of conflict, division and partisanship.

The system was never designed for a pandemic, that much is clear. That is a discussion for another time. The Governor’s statements and actions have been a matter of grave consternation to healthcare workers all over the state. Nero fiddles as Rome burns. The number of cases in AZ have climbed by nearly 300% since May 1st and have roughly doubled since Memorial Day, according to data from Hopkins. In the last twenty four hours, there have been 1014 new cases. For a moment, please try to fathom the kind of stress that is placing on our healthcare system. Our ICU’s are almost full. AZ hospitals are at above 80 percent capacity at this time. Clinical staff are stretched thin everywhere. The thing with these patients is that they consume a ton of resources and manpower because of how sick they are. They also have very protracted hospital courses. The average patient usually requires 3-5 days to come off the vent. Covid patients require weeks to wean off the vent which creates a myriad of associated issues. Severe deconditioning, delirium and multiorgsn failure are commonplace. These patients often require deep sedation. Unfortunately many IV infusions typically used in the ICU such as Fentanyl, Nimbex are in shortage on a global scale. Hospitals have dealt with drug shortages for decades and the influx of critically ill patients has made it much worse. I continue to pray that I will never have to keep someone awake on the ventilator due to a lack of medication availability like other colleagues in Covid hotspots have. Non critical care nurses are being trained to bolster our nurses. Similarly, physicians from all specialties prime themselves to practice a type of medicine that they may not have signed up for. I keep hearing people talk about a second wave that is going to hit but we’re still floundering in the first one.

To my fellow citizens who feel that it is okay to ignore the warnings of health officials, doctors and scientists by refusing to wear masks, social distancing and other basic measures; please for a moment, consider the repercussions of your actions. Yes, you are young and healthy and you will likely have a mild illness but are you willing to put your elderly grandparents at risk? Or your parents who most likely will have some form of comorbidity that will increase their susceptibility to severe illness. Or a younger sibling who may have asthma. If you are a parent, are you willing to risk exposing your child to Covid, especially as more and more cases of a syndrome known as Pediatric Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome (PMIS) are being reported. Also, please recognize that being young and healthy does not mean you will not contract a severe infection. This is not a hoax. There is no financial incentive for physicians, nurses and other healthcare workers in this. There is no magical drug for Covid-19 regardless of what politicians and Big Pharma tout. At the end of the day, if your loved one ends up in my ICU and requires intubation, mechanical ventilation, ECMO, CRRT or other invasive therapies, will you be able to resign yourself to the fact that you will not be able to come into the hospital and hold their hand or tell them you love them? Can you accept the fact that if despite all our efforts, we fail and your loved one dies, a stranger in a space suit will hold up an IPhone so that you can FaceTime for the last time before we proceed to take your loved one off life support? If you still believe this is a giant conspiracy, maybe consider volunteering at your local hospital or clinic to see what the ground realities are because nothing I say will be able to change your mind at this point. In the meantime, we will continue to weather the storm and brace for difficult days ahead.

Sincerely,

A tired Critical Care fellow

• Like 1

Some of you on here were born in the wrong country. Its apparent that the responsibilities and complexities of freedom and individual thought are too much for you. The worlds a scary place, with no guarantees of safety at anytime. Wear a paper mask if it makes you feel better, but you don't get to tell me too or shame others into doing it. For some of you,  perhaps staying home is in your best interest and well as others who could possibly have to deal with your irrational and unreasonable thinking.

• Like 7

What I don't get is the conflict of opinion within the medical field.  And I think a lot of it is politically driven.  There is an undertone in the above message that Outdoor Writer posted when the Dr. talks about the Governors statements.  Someone else posted earlier that they had family or someone close that was laid off because the hospitals were empty.  How can that be?  So they are overwhelmed in the ICU but laying nurses off on the other side?  They can't pull them over to help?  Just seems crazy to me.

2 minutes ago, AZbowhntr said:

What I don't get is the conflict of opinion within the medical field.  And I think a lot of it is politically driven.  There is an undertone in the above message that Outdoor Writer posted when the Dr. talks about the Governors statements.  Someone else posted earlier that they had family or someone close that was laid off because the hospitals were empty.  How can that be?  So they are overwhelmed in the ICU but laying nurses off on the other side?  They can't pull them over to help?  Just seems crazy to me.

Because its all political. Check out the guy that wrote what outdoor writer posted. I wouldn't call him an expert.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

FWIW. The following was written by Zahid Saeed -- University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellow · July 1, 2018 to present.

Dear Arizona,

I’ve spent the last five years completing my medical training at some of the finest hospitals in the Valley. In that time, I’ve seen incredible cases, with some great saves as well as my fair share of death. It all pales in comparison to the last three months of my career. I’ve spent the better part of that time in the ICU dealing with Covid-19. The physical, mental and emotional toll of this pandemic has been heavy on me, as it has my colleagues. I see it in their eyes. In the tones of their voices. Something has changed. It’s not just profound fatigue, it’s resignation. Resignation to the fact that patients continue to pile in, at an exponentially increasing rate. That some of these patients are the sickest that we’ve ever seen. To the fact that our community has seemingly abandoned us and many are convinced that one of the most difficult & turbulent periods of modern history is somehow a hoax or conspiracy. The irony of being called a healthcare hero does seem to echo rather hollowly. That voices of medicine, science & reason are being drowned out by the incessant nonstop drone of conflict, division and partisanship.

The system was never designed for a pandemic, that much is clear. That is a discussion for another time. The Governor’s statements and actions have been a matter of grave consternation to healthcare workers all over the state. Nero fiddles as Rome burns. The number of cases in AZ have climbed by nearly 300% since May 1st and have roughly doubled since Memorial Day, according to data from Hopkins. In the last twenty four hours, there have been 1014 new cases. For a moment, please try to fathom the kind of stress that is placing on our healthcare system. Our ICU’s are almost full. AZ hospitals are at above 80 percent capacity at this time. Clinical staff are stretched thin everywhere. The thing with these patients is that they consume a ton of resources and manpower because of how sick they are. They also have very protracted hospital courses. The average patient usually requires 3-5 days to come off the vent. Covid patients require weeks to wean off the vent which creates a myriad of associated issues. Severe deconditioning, delirium and multiorgsn failure are commonplace. These patients often require deep sedation. Unfortunately many IV infusions typically used in the ICU such as Fentanyl, Nimbex are in shortage on a global scale. Hospitals have dealt with drug shortages for decades and the influx of critically ill patients has made it much worse. I continue to pray that I will never have to keep someone awake on the ventilator due to a lack of medication availability like other colleagues in Covid hotspots have. Non critical care nurses are being trained to bolster our nurses. Similarly, physicians from all specialties prime themselves to practice a type of medicine that they may not have signed up for. I keep hearing people talk about a second wave that is going to hit but we’re still floundering in the first one.

To my fellow citizens who feel that it is okay to ignore the warnings of health officials, doctors and scientists by refusing to wear masks, social distancing and other basic measures; please for a moment, consider the repercussions of your actions. Yes, you are young and healthy and you will likely have a mild illness but are you willing to put your elderly grandparents at risk? Or your parents who most likely will have some form of comorbidity that will increase their susceptibility to severe illness. Or a younger sibling who may have asthma. If you are a parent, are you willing to risk exposing your child to Covid, especially as more and more cases of a syndrome known as Pediatric Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome (PMIS) are being reported. Also, please recognize that being young and healthy does not mean you will not contract a severe infection. This is not a hoax. There is no financial incentive for physicians, nurses and other healthcare workers in this. There is no magical drug for Covid-19 regardless of what politicians and Big Pharma tout. At the end of the day, if your loved one ends up in my ICU and requires intubation, mechanical ventilation, ECMO, CRRT or other invasive therapies, will you be able to resign yourself to the fact that you will not be able to come into the hospital and hold their hand or tell them you love them? Can you accept the fact that if despite all our efforts, we fail and your loved one dies, a stranger in a space suit will hold up an IPhone so that you can FaceTime for the last time before we proceed to take your loved one off life support? If you still believe this is a giant conspiracy, maybe consider volunteering at your local hospital or clinic to see what the ground realities are because nothing I say will be able to change your mind at this point. In the meantime, we will continue to weather the storm and brace for difficult days ahead.

Sincerely,

A tired Critical Care fellow

Time for this idiot doctor to retire

• Confused 1