Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Happy Father's Day

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Delw,

As parents we do our best to pay it forward and out of love we do our darnest to be protector, provider and role model.  As a kid growing up in the 50's life was pretty idyllic, guess I took it for granted and probably disappointed my dad more than once. We can't change the past.

Yeah unfortunately we dont realize it till we have kids of our own and until we hit our mid to late 30's on how cool our parents were. Specially those parents from the 40-early 70's era.

I was really fortunate, I got to see parts of the world (through My Fathers military career )  and Dad always let me try anything said the only way I could learn was by doing it. He was always there if I got into trouble, or did something stupid. Granted it would be an butt whoopin or a stern talking too.

A parent is just a guide to a Childs life, there going to do what ever they want wether you say yes or no.

This is my Dad. I miss him so much. For you guys that still have your Dads around don't take it for granted one single day.

20200621_205138.jpg

• Like 7

Probably not proper for this section but I don’t have kids. I had to shoot a really good dog today. The dogs are my fur kids. May not resonate with some but it was hard to do. After saying happy Father’s Day to my dad I had to put down my girl. The pain sucks!! Sorry to ruin a good time.

D9F96590-ACC9-45E2-A13B-1112B40522A5.jpeg

• Sad 2

Photo is of myself, my father and my older brother.  We lived on Litchfield road in Goodyear, the house is still there.  This is sometime in 1957.  Dad passed last year, my brother four years ago.  Miss them both.  Dad was stationed at Luke at the time.  He was raised in Iowa but fell in love with the desert.  He was a great provider and was always there for us.  He left big shoes to fill.

1019 Litchfield Rd Goodyear, AZ.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Swivelhead said:

Photo is of myself, my father and my older brother.  We lived on Litchfield road in Goodyear, the house is still there.  This is sometime in 1957.  Dad passed last year, my brother four years ago.  Miss them both.  Dad was stationed at Luke at the time.  He was raised in Iowa but fell in love with the desert.  He was a great provider and was always there for us.  He left big shoes to fill.

1019 Litchfield Rd Goodyear, AZ.jpg

I passed this house daily for years in the 80s. I lived 12 doors down.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heat said:

This is my Dad. I miss him so much. For you guys that still have your Dads around don't take it for granted one single day.

20200621_205138.jpg

True.  I lost my dad in 2011 to Glioblastoma.  I was in my 30’s and busy in life and I’m not the best person to have around when there’s something terminal.  I don’t handle it well.  I miss him every day.  

• Like 4

Here are a few pics of my dad in Vietnam in 66.  He was there two tours May 66-Nov 67.  He taught me how to get back up when life knocks you down.  Sometimes he was "life".  He died of a heart attack related to his PTSD on April 10, 2004.  My first child, our daughter was born 15 days later.  I'd give anything to be able to talk to him now about being a dad, especially to a teenage daughter.  The last one is from our last fishing trip together at Lake Tahoe in June 2003, while at his Army Unit Reunion (173d Airborne Brigade).  Dad is the skinny one kneeling in front of the mortar tube, crouching in front of the tube, and in the middle with his Bronze Star.  I pray every day that my kids see through my faults and see me the way I saw him, after looking beyond his faults.

1286395622_DadCombat.thumb.jpg.9c2fce3876f12faf0895deb3113d9cab.jpg

1016082844_Dad_MortarSquad.thumb.jpg.6d55c0fa7c7705fc828b096cdf415d30.jpg

1742740145_Dad_MortarSquad_RoundOut.thumb.jpg.9b747e9d5a28a0c209c0c61aecfb9259.jpg

479862499_DadBronzeStar.thumb.jpg.3ae9ac0d90ff0dd6ff962d6e88c0d720.jpg

DSCN1092.thumb.JPG.721caa7e8284c58c400f5a7ea2d9437c.JPG

Happy belated Father's Day to all you great dads out there!

• Like 6

I'm glad to have my dad still around. 73 years young and still trucking. We were both a little hard headed when I went out on my own. We didn't talk for about 12 years. Glad that's over with. 

• Like 2

Finally cashed in one of my dad day tickets.  Hid it under a dollar bill and shook it through auggies door, he saw money and jumped for it.  He was like whats this? 

Your helping your little brother kill a deer tomorow! He was less then thrilled. Best fathers day gift i could ssk for honestly. I still got quite a few to burn. 😜 

• Like 5

A little late to this one, but I just got a scrapbook form my dad a few days ago and figured I'd share a pic and a" little" of his history.  He was part of this group (Lower left front row) that flew helicopters around the Bikini Atoll in 1958 and measured radiation levels around each of the test sites immediately after the explosions took place.  He said that when his badge registered full on radiation levels, he would just turn it in and get another one. ( He laughed and thought it was kinda funny)   Crazy that he is still around and as full of life .  He told me this story while having a beer and a cigar on his back patio Monday afternoon.  Yes, I realize how fortunate I am to still have him, at 88, to sit and spend a few hours with.  He was also at the 77 day siege of Khe Sahn during the Tet Offensive and was named "The Marine Aviator of the Year for 1968.  I know it's not Fathers Day now , but spending that quality time and getting his personal photo album the other day makes me so grateful . ( Sorry about the sideways pic, but I spent over an hour trying to scan and download this thing, grrr)Scan0027.thumb.jpg.00408f8247bef03cff11eb771cf0a7ca.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bigbuckfever said:

A little late to this one, but I just got a scrapbook form my dad a few days ago and figured I'd share a pic and a" little" of his history.  He was part of this group (Lower left front row) that flew helicopters around the Bikini Atoll in 1958 and measured radiation levels around each of the test sites immediately after the explosions took place.  He said that when his badge registered full on radiation levels, he would just turn it in and get another one. ( He laughed and thought it was kinda funny)   Crazy that he is still around and as full of life .  He told me this story while having a beer and a cigar on his back patio Monday afternoon.  Yes, I realize how fortunate I am to still have him, at 88, to sit and spend a few hours with.  He was also at the 77 day siege of Khe Sahn during the Tet Offensive and was named "The Marine Aviator of the Year for 1968.  I know it's not Fathers Day now , but spending that quality time and getting his personal photo album the other day makes me so grateful . ( Sorry about the sideways pic, but I spent over an hour trying to scan and download this thing, grrr)Scan0027.thumb.jpg.00408f8247bef03cff11eb771cf0a7ca.jpg

Scan0027.thumb.jpg.00408f8247bef03cff11eb771cf0a7ca~2.jpg

• Thanks 1