Sign in to follow this  
5guyshunting

Elk and cattle.

People have asked if elk will water with cattle, so I am posting a couple pics. There were at least 50 head of cattle.

Screenshot_2020-06-22-16-19-38~2.png

Screenshot_2020-06-22-14-43-56~2.png

• Like 3

Photoshopped for sure....everyone knows cattle run everything out of the country 🙄

Not saying that it doesn't happen but I have had cameras on two different tanks in unit 6a in the past.  Elk routinely came and drank from both tanks everyday but as soon as the first cattle showed up the elk rarely came to the tanks.  When the cattle leave, the elk slowly start to show back up.  Everyone can believe what they want but I know what I know from my own experiences.  If I have a choice of hunting an area without cattle, I will do it every time over an area with cattle.  I also know of a great tank that gets hammered with coues but the cattle move in during middle of August and the deer sightings drop to nearly zero.

• Like 7

Elk hate cows in general but it still doesnt mean they wont feed and water occasionally together. In many many years of running a few cameras in the 3c area ive never had a picture with cow and elk on salt together.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, knothead said:

Not saying that it doesn't happen but I have had cameras on two different tanks in unit 6a in the past.  Elk routinely came and drank from both tanks everyday but as soon as the first cattle showed up the elk rarely came to the tanks.  When the cattle leave, the elk slowly start to show back up.  Everyone can believe what they want but I know what I know from my own experiences.  If I have a choice of hunting an area without cattle, I will do it every time over an area with cattle.  I also know of a great tank that gets hammered with coues but the cattle move in during middle of August and the deer sightings drop to nearly zero.

I think this is spot on. ☝️ The one time I have see elk mixed in with cattle I did a double take, then a triple, then snapped a picture for proof. 

P1050306.JPG

14 hours ago, JACK said:

Photoshopped for sure....everyone knows cattle run everything out of the country 🙄

That's fuuny..

Horses are worse than cattle. I've seen elk and cattle together several times but never elk and horses. Horses moved into a couple areas i have salt licks in and the deer moved out. i have photos of horses chasing off deer and even photos of an old mule chasing a bear off a salt lick. 

• Like 4

That must be why every now and again a horse will get gorged by a big bull during the rut..

• Like 1

All I can speak for is what I’ve seen.  I had an elk tag four years ago and watched two herds in an area without cattle.  I was feeling so good about opening day.  The week before opening day, the rancher opened that pasture and put 100+ cattle.  On opening day, I only saw one cow elk passing through.  She was obviously not comfortable there and on a mission to go somewhere else judging her behavior.  When I see pictures of elk and cattle together, I believe they are elk passing through and won’t willfully spend lots of time there.  As far as the herd I was seeing, who knows where they went.

• Like 2

Take a drive to downtown Alpine AZ. You will see  elk, cattle and horses eating ,drinking and playing together, day and night.

• Like 1