Non-Typical Solutions

Dodge Truck Owners

I had a 2016 2500 cummins (wrecked it) and now have a 2018 2500 cummins. Went with the tradesman model on both of them because they still have shifters for both the transmission and 4WD. The tradesman model is not fancy but still has everything i need (power windows, power mirrors, carpet, backup camera) and i won't have to worry so much about the interior falling apart down the road as i plan on keeping it for a long time. I also saved nearly 20k between this model and the laramie longhorn. It still has the same mechanical features, just not a fancy interior. My 2018 has the offroad package which was only like a $500 option and came with Bilstein shocks, fender flares, sits slightly higher and has a downhill assist button/feature. 

• Like 3

My 2018 dodge ram 3500 single , just turned 20, 000

None hauling.  I get 21 average around town.best so far open freeway in n woods wisc. 24.5

I get 10 to 14 depending on grade.hauling 13k 5th wheel.It really likes 70 -75 on open highway , basically idling at 1600 rpm. Got no problem passing anyone if I step on the pedal.

I did get the newer 8 speed iason tranny

I'd rather be Cummin,  than  power stroking

Not crazy about this def crap but not willing to spend 2500 to get rid of it and

void all warranties. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I drove my 79 F150 up until 2015 then got the eco boost.....my biggest concern is according to the books the ecoboost is rated at 13,200lbs and the Ram at 12,750lbs. I don't do enough pulling to know the difference, I pull my camp trail 20' like crazy in that ecoboost and no real issues!

As for that shifter............when I first saw it I thought.....who in their right mind puts that thing right there..........and I still scratch my head but with the electronics these new trucks have before you know it they'll have us all driving driverless cars...............................wait......................now you see how far behind the curve I am!!!! Thanks for your input!!!

I highly doubt you'll notice a difference between the two tow ratings.  That's less than 500 lbs difference.  I was originally going to get a Powerwagon, but the towing capacity was the same as my 2005 1500, at 9,000 lbs.  The Powerwagons are built to go anywhere, but they aren't set up to tow and we were talking about getting a bigger camper, so towing was key.  My 2500 Laramie Longhorn is rated at 15,000 with the 6.4L Hemi.

2 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I had a 2016 2500 cummins (wrecked it) and now have a 2018 2500 cummins. Went with the tradesman model on both of them because they still have shifters for both the transmission and 4WD. The tradesman model is not fancy but still has everything i need (power windows, power mirrors, carpet, backup camera) and i won't have to worry so much about the interior falling apart down the road as i plan on keeping it for a long time. I also saved nearly 20k between this model and the laramie longhorn. It still has the same mechanical features, just not a fancy interior. My 2018 has the offroad package which was only like a $500 option and came with Bilstein shocks, fender flares, sits slightly higher and has a downhill assist button/feature. 

I don't know why I originally called mine a Laramie Bighorn.  Its a Laramie Longhorn, so thanks for that clarification and reminder!  I looked at the tradesman, but didn't want to lose bed space with the side panel storage, if memory serves me correctly.  The cooled seats sure are nice when we're down in Phoenix in the summer!

• Like 2

No offense to the Ram guys, but you’ll hate the Ram coming from a Ford. The Ford is a far superior vehicle. There is a reason the Rams are soo much cheaper. Ive had both.  If you do get a Ram, get the bare bones model as GreyGhost said. Its the only one worth the money. The electronics of the bighorn or Laramie are junk, and will fail or just shutoff at random times. The rest of the higher end models turn into rattle traps over time. Never had a vehicle that rattled as much as a ram. 

• Like 2

Just now, IA Born said:

I highly doubt you'll notice a difference between the two tow ratings.  That's less than 500 lbs difference.  I was originally going to get a Powerwagon, but the towing capacity was the same as my 2005 1500, at 9,000 lbs.  The Powerwagons are built to go anywhere, but they aren't set up to tow and we were talking about getting a bigger camper, so towing was key.  My 2500 Laramie Longhorn is rated at 15,000 with the 6.4L Hemi.

I don't know why I originally called mine a Laramie Bighorn.  Its a Laramie Longhorn, so thanks for that clarification and reminder!  I looked at the tradesman, but didn't want to lose bed space with the side panel storage, if memory serves me correctly.  The cooled seats sure are nice when we're down in Phoenix in the summer!

i don't like the side storage boxes. Mine does not have them. i don't think they are an option in a tradesman? I could be wrong though. Sometimes i wish i would have gone with a fancier model but i just couldn't gut 10-20k extra for added comfort. Maybe if i drove enough i would. I've had my 2018 for 2 and a half years and it just rolled over 15k miles. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, IA Born said:

That's great.  2018 was the last year the 2500s/3500s had standard column shifters.  I was nervous enough with the transfer case shifter being on the dashboard...

Agree. I’m still paranoid I’m going to shift mine into 4wd on the freeway when I reach over to adjust the AC. 

• Like 1

To answer the original  question, with the Bighorn you should be getting   bucket front seats, with a power driver.  More options  standard as stated earlier.  The Hemi  will  out pull the Ecoboost without breaking a sweat, nor be dependent on twin turbos.  Just make sure you get the right  rear end.

If buying new, I would ask for the keyless entry with remote start, dang  nice here in the summer to have the truck cool when you climb in.  I've got 77K on my 2014, zero mechanical issues.  A couple recalls.  17mpg in town and 21-22 highway and my foot is heavy on the Hemi.  It's like having a sports car  for a truck.  

To the guy who claims you'll hate it coming from a Ford.  Bull.  Ram seats are much more comfortable.  I traded my 2017 F250 Superduty  with 9000 miles back in for  a Ram  2500 after 8 months  because it had the infamous Ford Death Wobble and I was reminded how lousy Ford's warranty service is after swearing them off in 2001.   Plus the seats sucked. Like sitting on  a  leather covered park bench.   Never should have dipped my toes into the water again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, My Rights As An American said:

Wow, you are coming onto a public forum and admitting you own a Ford? Ouch, that is just inviting trouble!😂

And thinking about a Dodge. 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

To answer the original  question, with the Bighorn you should be getting   bucket front seats, with a power driver.  More options  standard as stated earlier.  The Hemi  will  out pull the Ecoboost without breaking a sweat, nor be dependent on twin turbos.  Just make sure you get the right  rear end.

If buying new, I would ask for the keyless entry with remote start, dang  nice here in the summer to have the truck cool when you climb in.  I've got 77K on my 2014, zero mechanical issues.  A couple recalls.  17mpg in town and 21-22 highway and my foot is heavy on the Hemi.  It's like having a sports car  for a truck.  

To the guy who claims you'll hate it coming from a Ford.  Bull.  Ram seats are much more comfortable.  I traded my 2017 F250 Superduty  with 9000 miles back in for  a Ram  2500 after 8 months  because it had the infamous Ford Death Wobble and I was reminded how lousy Ford's warranty service is after swearing them off in 2001.   Plus the seats sucked. Like sitting on  a  leather covered park bench.   Never should have dipped my toes into the water again.

Thanks for the input......I know nothing about rearends.......what is the right one??? Hope this doesn't get sent to the dungeon :( 

2 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

👆👆👆 this right here, I have a 2015  tradesman with a cummings and been very happy with no issues. I paid $46,500 out the door tax title etc with a 100k warranty. The truck was $42k before all that. I have a person that is legit, one price, no hassle that’s a finance manager at one of the top Dodge dealers here in The Valley. Let me know and I can get you Victoria’s number. Others on CW can testify that she’s that good. 

• Like 3

I was out  the door for 47k 2018 ram 2500 tradesmen. I tow 13k lb camper and I am very pleased with it so far. I think I have about 15k miles on it. I also have a Ford f250 and a chevy truck.

• Like 1