Non-Typical Solutions

Dodge Truck Owners

2 hours ago, IA Born said:

I still have my 1978 F150 that my dad bought brand new.  I loved it and vowed "Ford for Life" until I started driving a Ram.  I almost for an F250, but was over the IFS and wanted solid axles again.  Of course, two years into my solid axles, leaf springs on all corners 2500, and my kidneys hate me with every bump.

Besides, there are worse things in life to admit to.  You could admit you own a 6.5CM!  BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

My 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins has rear coil springs. It rides real nice for a big truck. I think that is the first year they put coils under it...or maybe 2013. The electronics are crazy in the newer trucks. Mine is a SLT with "luxury package", so upgraded cloth seats and trim. It's quite comfortable...even the back seat. 

I have my window sticker at home, I will try to remember to look and see what rear end I have.  Mine has the 8 speed, not sure if the new ones went to a 10 speed, I think with the larger number of gears,  the rear  ratio is not as critical.  There appears to be a new truck shortage right now after the plants all shut down for almost 2 1/2 months .  Rebates on 2020 models are great, but its tough to find one with  the options and features you may want.  2021's can be ordered, but no real rebates.

All  you guys talking 2500's and your Cummins, he's looking for a half ton.....  When the stuff gets real and heavy, my 2500  gets hooked on. But the difference in ride off road sux compared to the 1500. Usually have the Ranger in the toy hauler any way.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

I have my window sticker at home, I will try to remember to look and see what rear end I have.  Mine has the 8 speed, not sure if the new ones went to a 10 speed, I think with the larger number of gears,  the rear  ratio is not as critical.  There appears to be a new truck shortage right now after the plants all shut down for almost 2 1/2 months .  Rebates on 2020 models are great, but its tough to find one with  the options and features you may want.  2021's can be ordered, but no real rebates.

All  you guys talking 2500's and your Cummins, he's looking for a half ton.....  When the stuff gets real and heavy, my 2500  gets hooked on. But the difference in ride off road sux compared to the 1500. Usually have the Ranger in the toy hauler any way.  

I was shopping for a Ford, Tundra, and Ram 1500 and ended up with the Ram 2500. No regrets at all

I'm driving a 2019 2500 Tradesman that I bought last November with the 6.4 hemi, wanted the Cummins but didn't need it for what I have to pull.  Hate the gearshift knob, there is an electric cut out if you switch it instead of turning the knob next to it for the fan speed.  Have done that a couple of times.....still can't get used to it.

The biggest complaint I have and I suggest you research is the A/C in these trucks.  Dodge/Ram have had blender door/heater core issues for years.  THis is my 3rd truck from them.  The A/C coming out the drivers vents on my truck are on average 6-10 degrees warmer than what is coming out of the passenger vents, used a meat thermometer in the vents to check this.  I have complained about this to the dealer on both occasions when it was in for service and have been told it is within specs.  It is a very common complaint on these newer trucks, take a look at the forums.  One of the "hacks" that I found was to bypass the heater core hose that goes through the firewall.  I tried a clamp on this hose and it made a huge difference.  Ended up installing a bypass valve so I don't have hot water going to the heater core when the A/C is trying to cool the air down.  Poor design, very common complaint for a lot of these trucks, other than that it suits my needs.

i could get by with a half ton for 90% of what i do but the tradesman with the Cummins was actually comparable (or cheaper) than a lot of half tons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom196 said:

The biggest complaint I have and I suggest you research is the A/C in these trucks.  Dodge/Ram have had blender door/heater core issues for years.  THis is my 3rd truck from them.  The A/C coming out the drivers vents on my truck are on average 6-10 degrees warmer than what is coming out of the passenger vents, used a meat thermometer in the vents to check this.

I’ve run into similar...it gets really noticeable when Freon is a little low. Driving home on interstate from NM one night and drivers side was blowing warm air while passenger side was cool. Made for a long drive with the window down. Recharging it and making sure no leak was the solution. Luckily mine didn’t require the fix I’d seen online to pull off the dash and replace the blend gates. 

5 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Thanks for the input......I know nothing about rearends.......what is the right one??? Hope this doesn't get sent to the dungeon :( 

3:21 is whats in mine,   works great with the 8 speed.

• Like 1

Can't tow for shoot, but it'll do till the warranty is up and I get bags and a procharger 

KIMG1589.JPG

• Like 1

I have a Dodge theory that in my experience of life has proven to be pretty accurate. I believe that 95% of Dodge owners have a functioning IQ at or below 100. That's the only way you can explain purchasing a Dodge

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, AZkiller said:

I have a Dodge theory that in my experience of life has proven to be pretty accurate. I believe that 95% of Dodge owners have a functioning IQ at or below 100. That's the only way you can explain purchasing a Dodge

Not true. I can count to 150. 

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 10:38 AM, GreyGhost85 said:

I had a 2016 2500 cummins (wrecked it) and now have a 2018 2500 cummins. Went with the tradesman model on both of them because they still have shifters for both the transmission and 4WD. The tradesman model is not fancy but still has everything i need (power windows, power mirrors, carpet, backup camera) and i won't have to worry so much about the interior falling apart down the road as i plan on keeping it for a long time. I also saved nearly 20k between this model and the laramie longhorn. It still has the same mechanical features, just not a fancy interior. My 2018 has the offroad package which was only like a $500 option and came with Bilstein shocks, fender flares, sits slightly higher and has a downhill assist button/feature. 

^ What he said. I have a 2015 Tradesman. No big thrills yet it does what I need, and more. And, I really am comfortable with the transfer case shift being mostly manual versus all electric.

• Like 1

Owned one Dodge in my life.  Best thing about it,  that I was able to get a couple thousand more for it then that thing was worth when I traded it in.  Won't ever buy Dodge again. Started burning oil at 125,000ish miles.  Bunch of knobs inside started breaking.  Hear great things about the Cummins motor though.

On 6/23/2020 at 8:55 PM, AZkiller said:

I don't know what to think about your theory. I have a bud that owns a Dodge and he doesn't fit, however my S-I-L owns a Dodge and she definitely fits, however she inherited the truck when her poor husband expired, and if he married her, he definitely fits!