zackcarp

Backpacking Sleeping Pad

So I'm in the market for a good sleeping pad. Lightweight, with an R rating around 4. What are you guys using?

The one thing I cannot tolerate when backpacking is being cold at night.  I use a Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm MAX. It hurt when I broke the wallet open ($200+) for it but it was the lightest/warmest pad money can buy at the time and i’m sure it probably still is. I am an ultralight backpacker with a base pack weight of 17 lbs for reference. R Value of 5.7. Only drawback to it is it’s a little noisy.

*Edit:  Weighs 17 oz

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

The one thing I cannot tolerate when backpacking is being cold at night.  I use a Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm MAX. It hurt when I broke the wallet open ($200+) for it but it was the lightest/warmest pad money can buy at the time and i’m sure it probably still is. I am an ultralight backpacker with a base pack weight of 17 lbs for reference. R Value of 5.7. Only drawback to it is it’s a little noisy

+1 after a while they get quieter 

• Like 2

II have a 20 oz mummy Xtherm LW (6.9 R  with a new ASTM rating) which is rather toasty but I am on the hunt for a 16 oz Xlite LW (4.2R). You can also get a woman’s 12 oz Xlite 66”x20”(5.2R) if you are not tall. Xlite has been a go to pad for long distance hikers for many years. As far as price goes, many outdoor gear online retailers run 20% off sales often and occasional 25-30%.Combine it with Rakuten or Active Junky rebate and you’ll get it well below MSRP. 

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

Foam pad. Cheap, light, durable, and lasts 10 years. They double as chairs/cushions and you never have to worry about popping a hole in them. 

I'm anti inflatable mattress. I've seen too many get holes and leave people very uncomfortable. 

I started my search a few months ago.

So far I’m liking the Sea to Summit Thermolite. It weighs in at 22 oz and is very comfortable and not noisy at all. I was comparing it to BigAgnes AXLAir and the Klymit Static V, which don’t have good R values.

I just ordered the Nemo Tensor as it has good reviews, for weight comfort and not as much noise (or cost) as the Thermarest NeoAir. I’ll update once I have had a chance to test.

• Like 1

akaspecials - just curious... How many nights on average do you spend a year on that foam pad? That is madness!!! What are you, part yote or something?!?! Just ditch the pad altogether and scratch you out a spot in the dirt like a real man!!!

I recently picked up a large Sea to Summit Etherlight XT 22oz R-value 3.2 and I legit sleep as well or better than I do in my own bed. I have about 6-7 nights on it so far and can't rave enough about how comfortable it is. A touch noisy but less so than the STS Comfort light which I used for 3 seasons before moving to the Etherlight. 

If I don't sleep well, I don't hunt well. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, akaspecials said:

Foam pad. Cheap, light, durable, and lasts 10 years. They double as chairs/cushions and you never have to worry about popping a hole in them. 

I'm anti inflatable mattress. I've seen too many get holes and leave people very uncomfortable. 

Depends on your goals for backpacking weight/space... Foam is heavy and big in comparison but is durable no doubt. 

Guest akaspecials
On 6/26/2020 at 9:09 AM, AZDirtyTaco said:

akaspecials - just curious... How many nights on average do you spend a year on that foam pad? That is madness!!! What are you, part yote or something?!?! 

delete

17 minutes ago, akaspecials said:

30+ nights. Half of those nights are on the ground and half are in a hammock with the pad between the hammock and my sleeping bag. I typically use the green pad, but I'll bring the blue pad if it's below 25 for some extra insulation. 

As Curtis said, the foam pads are bulky, but I either strap them to the outside of my pack or I put them on the inside to line the walls of the pack and then pack inside them. 

And idk about part yote, but I'm only partially civilized according to most of my ex's. 

20200626_104723.jpg

100% qualified to speak on the subject my man!  I would have given you the nod at 6 nights a year even...  Good grief!!!

I've been running airpads for almost 20yrs now and have the same Thermarest Classic pad I've had all along and still running strong as loaners to new backpackers I drag out. Easily have 120-150 nights on that pad. I have had to patch my Thermarest twice and easily did so in the field.  I've never spent a hard nights rest backpacking and that was back when I used to pack my pad on the outside fo my pack, making it more susceptible to taking damage.

I wish I could get by on a foam pad like that!  I'm envious.

I'm really liking the sea to summit ultra light. A little lower on R rating than I wanted. But everything else looks good.

One thing to consider is which test standard manufacturers use to determine R value or do they just pull that info from their butt, like the last pad I owned(BA). Pad was rated 15-30 degrees but felt cold in temp barely over freezing and I slept in a 15 degree down bag. It looks like Sea To Summit uses ASTM standard. Anyhow, Enwild has Regular Xtherm Max on sale for $163 and right at 17 ozs. Buy this one and you”ll never sleep cold again.

https://www.enwild.com/therm-a-rest-neoair-xtherm-max.html

Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm MAX is my next pad purchase.  I have used a klymit static V insulated for a few years now and I am about done with it.  IT has had a slow leak for the last 5 trips or so and I just keep blowing it up every morning.  Nice pad for the money, but does not compare to the thermarest.  

I love this one. It’s alittle lower of an R rating but it’s severed me well down to the teens. Plus it’s lite and wide. The speed valve was little weird at first but now I like it. 

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xlite Max SV Ultralight Backpacking Air Mattress https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JSKQAV0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_So99EbPK4T973

• Like 1