nw07heavy

Willing to share revolver pet .500 Mag and 45/70 loads?

Just picked up a S&W .500 Magnum 8-3/8" and BFR 45/70 7.5" revolver. I've searched the web manufacturer sites for loads and have tried several good ones. I was wondering if anyone else here shoots one of these and has found any pet loads, light to very heavy, they might share. Another question is about CFE BLK, 48.0 grains for a 500 gr JSP, listed as a compressed load; has anyone here been able to seat this load, and what was needed to accomplish this? This would be no problem in a single shot, but the revolver has a shorter COAL. Thanks for any information you could provide.

cfe blk 40 grains to 48 grains 500 slug 1400 to1650 psi 36,700 to 51,100 psi

a nice flame thrower and yes it does kick

as for the 45-70 pistol load no help there about all I can say is cut the rifle load down a tad till your comfy

45 minutes ago, 50Caliber said:

cfe blk 40 grains to 48 grains 500 slug 1400 to1650 psi 36,700 to 51,100 psi

a nice flame thrower and yes it does kick

as for the 45-70 pistol load no help there about all I can say is cut the rifle load down a tad till your comfy

50Caliber, Thanks, I have the Hodgdon CFE BLK info, however seating a 500 grain Hornady JSP over 48.0 grains of CFE BLK has not been possible for me due to meplat deformation. I was wondering if any owners of these revolvers had a 'fix' for this load seating, like seating plug mods, or 500 grain bullet changes.

The 45/70 already has loads worked up that follow modern lever action, not Ruger #1 or bolt action, pressure levels. I'm already at max rifle loads, but was looking for other possible bullet weight and load levels for enjoyable plinking or hunting, up to elk locally here in AZ.

That's why I bought the S&W 460 hunter. Easy to get 45acp & 45 casual, little tuffer to get the 460 loads.. 

15 hours ago, nw07heavy said:

50Caliber, Thanks, I have the Hodgdon CFE BLK info, however seating a 500 grain Hornady JSP over 48.0 grains of CFE BLK has not been possible for me due to meplat deformation. I was wondering if any owners of these revolvers had a 'fix' for this load seating, like seating plug mods, or 500 grain bullet changes.

The 45/70 already has loads worked up that follow modern lever action, not Ruger #1 or bolt action, pressure levels. I'm already at max rifle loads, but was looking for other possible bullet weight and load levels for enjoyable plinking or hunting, up to elk locally here in AZ.

Aw clear I use a die from lee it is the rifle/pistol neck expanding die only off and on I use a lipstick round and must open the neck a tad more to seat it right easy to use . check out the powder from finland for the 45/70 they have some nice loads for the 45/70 VihtaVuori is the name I have not used my 45/70 in years I use this powder in my 300 whby mag each slug has 2 to 3 loads for this powder burns clean check them out

9 hours ago, 50Caliber said:

Aw clear I use a die from lee it is the rifle/pistol neck expanding die only off and on I use a lipstick round and must open the neck a tad more to seat it right easy to use . check out the powder from finland for the 45/70 they have some nice loads for the 45/70 VihtaVuori is the name I have not used my 45/70 in years I use this powder in my 300 whby mag each slug has 2 to 3 loads for this powder burns clean check them out

Thanks, I did check out VIHT's site for load data. I'd like to find some good performing cleaner burning powders.

22 hours ago, wildwoody said:

That's why I bought the S&W 460 hunter. Easy to get 45acp & 45 casual, little tuffer to get the 460 loads.. 

Thanks for your input, as you just illuminated the .500 Special cartridge, making my .500 Magnum a dual cartridge firearm. Nice input! This is like the .44 Magnum/.44 Special firearms. I'll now need to get some brass and dig up some load data for the .500 Special, like 335 grain hardcast bullets at around 1,000 fps. this would make a great super low power plinking load I could shoot all day. These would be a great complement to the 1,350 fps 525 grain hardcast 45/70 load, the 1,500 fps 500 grain JSP .500 magnum loads, and the 400 grain loads in both revolvers. Some Barnes 275-375 grain .500 Magnum loads at 2,000 fps+ would also round out my ammo.

• Like 1

I've shot the HSM. Cowboy Action loads in my trapdoor. Give em a try. Even if you don't like them, they're inexpensive good plinking ammo and you'll have a box of brass left

• Like 1

I've shot the HSM .500 Magnum 440 grain hardcast 1,500 fps (actual 1,451 fps) and these were nice shooting rounds. I think this is called their 'Bear Load'. I see they provide a few other .500 Mag loaded ammo bullets of varying weights. I saw no .500 S&W ammo made in 'Cowboy', although there was one 45/70 load, a 405 grain hardcast at 1,300 fps.

1 hour ago, nw07heavy said:

I've shot the HSM .500 Magnum 440 grain hardcast 1,500 fps (actual 1,451 fps) and these were nice shooting rounds. I think this is called their 'Bear Load'. I see they provide a few other .500 Mag loaded ammo bullets of varying weights. I saw no .500 S&W ammo made in 'Cowboy', although there was one 45/70 load, a 405 grain hardcast at 1,300 fps.

Uhm yeah trapdoors are 45- 70 pretty much 1873 on

Thanks?