Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Time to explore

There's some new land I wanted to check out past Horseshoe.. there was a fording point on the river. Most of you probably know about it.. it's on the way to Sheeps Bridge. (East of the river)

Some of the roads I've walked up north of that point are just ridiculous.. can't take the Trucks.

Now that I've got the side x side, I'm going to have to cross in that. I used to do it in the Yukon all the time - I'd just eyeball it. If it was relatively low then no problem. 

What's a ballpark estimate in CFS to even drive out and check? 300? It's over 1100 now. I'm going to take a pass if that's remotely accurate.

https://streamflow.watershedconnection.com/Dwr

Or maybe it's Tangle Creek I need to look at and not Horseshoe..

If @ Sheep bridge use the Tangle creek reading, aka "into Horseshoe."  Below Horseshoe, utilize the SRP dam release reading.  As far a fords go, 300 cfs or less is ideal.  Till you get familiar with the crossings, I suggest going in warmer weather and wading prior to crossing as you are liable for any "problems" that occur when fording.  The "old" crossing @ Sheep bridge used to be downstream of the bridge at the downstream end of the big pool, it is now deep and swift, people are fording slightly upstream of the bridge.  I suggest you check out youtube.  Also, these roads that go east "flirt" with the wilderness boundary.  I'd suggest you GPS a waypoint on each of them to make sure you don't violate any laws.  Have fun, good quail hunting across the river but too much cactus for dogs.

• Like 1

even at 250 cfs I wouldn't cross that thing. its been dug out near the east shore over the years and at 250 a few years ago my mule "whom is tall" sunk to the saddle and refused to cross. Like 5 years ago I drove an f250 from sheeps to cave creek using that east side. Hit or miss weather you can cross. I ran into a guy javi hunting that got stranded over there for 3 weeks when the flow came up. That would be nice. haha

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

even at 250 cfs I wouldn't cross that thing. its been dug out near the east shore over the years and at 250 a few years ago my mule "whom is tall" sunk to the saddle and refused to cross. Like 5 years ago I drove an f250 from sheeps to cave creek using that east side. Hit or miss weather you can cross. I ran into a guy javi hunting that got stranded over there for 3 weeks when the flow came up. That would be nice. haha

Getting trapped by high flows is no fun.  Crossing in darkness will get your hackles up especially when its been a year since the last time you used a particular crossing.  We used to call SRP and talk to their hydrologist to get a dam/water release forecast.

18 hours ago, Jazz said:

Now that I've got the side x side, I'm going to have to cross in that. I used to do it in the Yukon all the time - I'd just eyeball it. If it was relatively low then no problem. 

I want to hear more about your adventures back when you were in the Yukon, ay?