AZQCMAN

Hunting guide recommendations

I am putting this question out there.  I would like some recommendations for Deer Guides.  I have had some bad experiences (supposed to be the top guide for Strip), and some great experiences.  Since the draw results will come out in a week or so, lets have a collective discussion and share some past experiences.  My son drew the early rifle Kaibab tag so I am looking around for recommendations.

14 minutes ago, AZQCMAN said:

I am putting this question out there.  I would like some recommendations for Deer Guides.  I have had some bad experiences (supposed to be the top guide for Strip), and some great experiences.  Since the draw results will come out in a week or so, lets have a collective discussion and share some past experiences.  My son drew the early rifle Kaibab tag so I am looking around for recommendations.

AZ Strip Guides. They seem to always be killing it!

Duwane Adam's.  Dont know anyone been killing it up there as long as he has.  He pioneered the big eyes on a tripod and now years later that's how we all do it.  Hands down would be my first choice. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I'd like to know who you had a bad experience with and what happened?

I had a 13B strip tag a few years ago and went with A3.  They talked a good talk but gave me an inexperianced guide, he didn't know the area, hadn't hunted the area he was "assigned to hunt", went 3 days without seeing a deer (doe included).  All the other hunters around us killed huge bucks, we were the only ones not to do so.  The only buck I was able to put in my scope was a small 2X3 on the last day.  I could go on and on all day.  Needless to say there went 15 years of waiting for a tag and $9k down the drain.   Tried calling A3 after the hunt and was being avoided for a conversation with them.

• Wow! 1

21 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Duwane Adam's.  Dont know anyone been killing it up there as long as he has.  He pioneered the big eyes on a tripod and now years later that's how we all do it.  Hands down would be my first choice. 

Thank You... I have been told to go with Duwane Adams from some other guys.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AZQCMAN said:

I had a 13B strip tag a few years ago and went with A3.  They talked a good talk but gave me an inexperianced guide, he didn't know the area, hadn't hunted the area he was "assigned to hunt", went 3 days without seeing a deer (doe included).  All the other hunters around us killed huge bucks, we were the only ones not to do so.  The only buck I was able to put in my scope was a small 2X3 on the last day.  I could go on and on all day.  Needless to say there went 15 years of waiting for a tag and $9k down the drain.   Tried calling A3 after the hunt and was being avoided for a conversation with them.

Wow that sucks man I'm sorry that happened to you.  I'm doing Duwane  apprentice program and spent time with them in camp.  His guys are top notch and so is he.  I honestly don't think any outfitter knows the kaibab like they do.  So I'm assuming you are in AZ? How many points you sitting on?

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

Wow that sucks man I'm sorry that happened to you.  I'm doing Duwane  apprentice program and spent time with them in camp.  His guys are top notch and so is he.  I honestly don't think any outfitter knows the kaibab like they do.  So I'm assuming you are in AZ? How many points you sitting on?

Yeah, I am still not over it.  I am 6 points now, so I am relying on luck for my next tag or another 15 years.  I am going to call around and I do plan on calling Duwane Adams

1 minute ago, AZQCMAN said:

Yeah, I am still not over it.  I am 6 points now, so I am relying on luck for my next tag or another 15 years.  I am going to call around and I do plan on calling Duwane Adams

Yeah man that's got to hurt, I'm guessing you are out of state? Who knows maybe the fire will produce some great opportunities for the years coming up.  Maybe the early hunt will be better then average now.  They cut the youth doe tags in half and reduced buck tags So in a few years combine with great new feed and glassing it could be great.  I'm looking forward to picking Duwanes brain about it when it see him next.  

I used Duwane 2 years ago.  Catfish Kev was in camp. I been on 4 guided hunts in my life., will be 64 in Sept. and hope I get to use Duwane again someday.. Everything was firsts class. I was sick as a dog ,real bad cold and He accomadated me perfect.  Took me to a spot where I didn't have to hike to far and the glassing was great yet some what secluded. Was able to kill a nice buck at dark opening day then sleep in heated tents with Nyquil for 3 days.  First class food , guides comoderie ,You name it. On a 1 to 10 scale He was an 11. Couldn't see anybody doing any better. Ther are some other good ones out there too.,but for Kaibab , no other gets it done like they do. total Professional outfitt from top to bottom...........BOB!1676851853_IMG_0803(3).JPG.77e46297d0cc47c85eab61d11774b09c.JPG

• Like 5

Jason Bond (Bond Trophy Outfitters). Can't go wrong. Very knowledgeable and dedicated to his clients. He finds the big ones!

14 hours ago, AZQCMAN said:

Thank You... I have been told to go with Duwane Adams from some other guys.  

I second that.  great guy. 

It's his passion and it shows.  I would never consider anyone else.