AZQCMAN

Hunting guide recommendations

14 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Duwane Adam's.  Dont know anyone been killing it up there as long as he has.  He pioneered the big eyes on a tripod and now years later that's how we all do it.  Hands down would be my first choice. 

So you working for him yet, or is he just your god, great guy by the way, both of you..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lol, no I'm not working for him. I spent one year on the bab with them.  Gotta go back up and spend more time before he would cut me loose with clients. Couldn't make it last year planning on being back this year.  No I dont actually worship the man but sure do see him as a mentor.

• Like 2

I know, that was a little over the top, life doesn't give us enough time. Still thinking about those crabs..

18 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Yeah man that's got to hurt, I'm guessing you are out of state? Who knows maybe the fire will produce some great opportunities for the years coming up.  Maybe the early hunt will be better then average now.  They cut the youth doe tags in half and reduced buck tags So in a few years combine with great new feed and glassing it could be great.  I'm looking forward to picking Duwanes brain about it when it see him next.  

I called Duwane and am going with him as a guide.  From others I have talked to, and a bunch of guys here on this forum all recommend him.  Maybe I will see you in his camp

• Like 5

After speaking with lots of hunters and the forum here, I called Duwane and I am going with him.  I will provide a report after the hunt.  My son and I are excited!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, AZQCMAN said:

I had a 13B strip tag a few years ago and went with A3.  They talked a good talk but gave me an inexperianced guide, he didn't know the area, hadn't hunted the area he was "assigned to hunt", went 3 days without seeing a deer (doe included).  All the other hunters around us killed huge bucks, we were the only ones not to do so.  The only buck I was able to put in my scope was a small 2X3 on the last day.  I could go on and on all day.  Needless to say there went 15 years of waiting for a tag and $9k down the drain.   Tried calling A3 after the hunt and was being avoided for a conversation with them.

Unfortunately, your experience is not at all uncommon with a handful of big business outfitters here in the state. These types of outfitters build a reputation using a handful top notch guides, paying big finders fees for big animals, getting auction tag hunters, etc.  Problem is, unless you have an auction or super draw tag, are someone special, or have big money, you aren't getting the best guides. These outfitters may book 100+ clients every season using the notoriety of the auction tag holders and few big animals their $$$ client/guides killed (their will of course be a few exceptions). You probably only see pictures from 10% of "their" hunter's animals. The average guy is going to be subcontracted out to "Joe Local" while the big business outfitter collects a chunk of the money. They are largely a booking agency. When talking to a guide/outfitter, you MUST insist on the name of the guide you will be hunting with, talk to that guide, and research that guide before the outfitter ever get a penny of your money. Your best bet in most cases is going to hire an outfit that only takes a few clients and uses a small group of their in-house regular guides. Most of the primo units/hunts have a handful of guides that focus on those units/hunts every year. Unless you have big money, I would run from the big business outfits who guide the whole state using 100+ different "guides" that "work for them". 

Sorry about your last experience, but is sounds like you are doing it right this time. You are definitely going in a good direction with Duwane.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, AZQCMAN said:

After speaking with lots of hunters and the forum here, I called Duwane and I am going with him.  I will provide a report after the hunt.  My son and I are excited!

Good choice. LookIng forward to pics and story from your son’s hunt...good luck!

i should add that I’ve never met Duwane but I feel like I’ve known him for years. I called him before my 12aw hunt when I wasn’t sure if I wanted to use a guide. He told me more and gave me more tips and information on that one phone call than I would have imagined. 

• Like 1

Lots o Dwayne fans. I don't know him but I'll sell you a photo copied map with some scribbles and arrows on it that he sold me for only $300!!!

OBO to anyone interested.....

4 hours ago, AZkiller said:

Lots o Dwayne fans. I don't know him but I'll sell you a photo copied map with some scribbles and arrows on it that he sold me for only $300!!!

OBO to anyone interested.....

LOL opening day you will find a handful of guys all at the same 2 glassing spots on the Eastside after they buy that map. Its a huge help to people that don't get time to scout though or know the area though. 

18 hours ago, rossislider said:

Unfortunately, your experience is not at all uncommon with a handful of big business outfitters here in the state. These types of outfitters build a reputation using a handful top notch guides, paying big finders fees for big animals, getting auction tag hunters, etc.  Problem is, unless you have an auction or super draw tag, are someone special, or have big money, you aren't getting the best guides. These outfitters may book 100+ clients every season using the notoriety of the auction tag holders and few big animals their $$$ client/guides killed (their will of course be a few exceptions). You probably only see pictures from 10% of "their" hunter's animals. The average guy is going to be subcontracted out to "Joe Local" while the big business outfitter collects a chunk of the money. They are largely a booking agency. When talking to a guide/outfitter, you MUST insist on the name of the guide you will be hunting with, talk to that guide, and research that guide before the outfitter ever get a penny of your money. Your best bet in most cases is going to hire an outfit that only takes a few clients and uses a small group of their in-house regular guides. Most of the primo units/hunts have a handful of guides that focus on those units/hunts every year. Unless you have big money, I would run from the big business outfits who guide the whole state using 100+ different "guides" that "work for them". 

Sorry about your last experience, but is sounds like you are doing it right this time. You are definitely going in a good direction with Duwane.

This is spot on!  

• Like 1

Good old A3 and others, all about the Benjamin's, guides should be outlawed. Lol

• Like 4
  • Love 1