I bought my first muzzleloader and when I went to buy bullets powder etc, I got a little over whelm. So many options. Curious what you all suggest for a cva accura v2 set up

I've tried most everything in my accura v2. It's a little finicky. I settled on 120 gr blackhorn by volume with 250 gr traditions smackdown carnivore bullets inside of harvester black crush Rib sabots. I spent tons of time and money on all kinds of other combinations and just about gave up on the gun and finally just mixed and matched what I had and stumbled into this load. Save yourself some money and give it a try first. It is freakishly accurate in a gun that appeared to not be very accurate at all. From what I can tell, the smackdown carnivore bullets are just rebranded Berry's blue diamond bullets so you can maybe try them too instead. 

Thank you creed_az_88 I will try that exact load. I left the store yesterday empty handed as I didn't realize all the different factors that go into a muzzleloader round. I've been reading since yesterday to learn all the ins and outs. Appreciate the info

1 hour ago, creed_az_88 said:

I've tried most everything in my accura v2. It's a little finicky. I settled on 120 gr blackhorn by volume with 250 gr traditions smackdown carnivore bullets inside of harvester black crush Rib sabots. I spent tons of time and money on all kinds of other combinations and just about gave up on the gun and finally just mixed and matched what I had and stumbled into this load. Save yourself some money and give it a try first. It is freakishly accurate in a gun that appeared to not be very accurate at all. From what I can tell, the smackdown carnivore bullets are just rebranded Berry's blue diamond bullets so you can maybe try them too instead. 

How far out are you shooting and what kind of groups are you getting with that set up?

Just a little tip that works for me, cant say im an expert but I was new to this a while back also. I started weighing my loads ahead of time and using speed loaders. I don't have my load handy but ounce I started doing that my groups were much better. Im also running BH209 but im running 200 grn bullets also with sabots. One other deal is I can get 3 shots close then the groups walk off if I don't clean real good after that. 

1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

How far out are you shooting and what kind of groups are you getting with that set up?

I'm shooting to 325 yards. The only reason I don't shoot further is because the energy and bullet speed drop off any further than that. I get consistent 3.5" groups at 325 yards and that's a conservative measurement because many times the groups are much better. 200 yards and my bullet holes are touching. Ive tested this load with a cold bore, hot bore, clean bore, and even after 15 shots without swabbing and the accuracy and POI changes very little if any at all. The first shot with a clean bore is usually high about an inch at 300 yards. I hunt with a dirty barrel. I also used to weigh my charges but it became a pain at the range so I just started using a volume measurer and it seemed as if there was very little difference. I believe that this is because with 120 grains of blackhorn in a 27 inch barrel, a small portion of the powder doesn't get completely burned, so any small variances in powder charge means very little. That's just a theory though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tyler1215 said:

Thank you creed_az_88 I will try that exact load. I left the store yesterday empty handed as I didn't realize all the different factors that go into a muzzleloader round. I've been reading since yesterday to learn all the ins and outs. Appreciate the info

Make sure you have a Blackhorn Breeech plug for your Accura, I believe the factory breech will not perform well with that powder.

1 hour ago, Siwash said:

Make sure you have a Blackhorn Breeech plug for your Accura, I believe the factory breech will not perform well with that powder.

If you do a little research you can do a little work and mod your own plug. I did some of my own engineering on mine and made two of them and have had zero issues. Not a big mod if you look into it but then the new plugs are cheap also. Im a machinist so hard to buy what I can make. I wanted 2 so I could swap out quick while target shooting and not have to clean.

Where did you buy the muzzleloader 

I need to buy one soon

15 minutes ago, WHALE said:

Where did you buy the muzzleloader 

I need to buy one soon

You can order a muzzleloader online and have it sent right to your door step unlike a centerfire rifle.  Muzzle-loaders.com seems to have some of the best deals. 

• Like 1

You can buy direct from CVA too with free shipping/no tax and its worth it to watch their sales and closeouts if you are not in a hurry.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 7:39 AM, creed_az_88 said:

I cant seem to find those exact bullets, can you tell me where you get them? Thank you

On 7/1/2020 at 4:59 AM, tyler1215 said:

I cant seem to find those exact bullets, can you tell me where you get them? Thank you

I ordered mine from midwayusa. Hoping to try them this weekend with a few others.

• Like 1