Sign in to follow this  
NOTAGS

Bush Fire Destruction.

I drove through the west side of the fire zone on the 87 this weekend.  It is terrible.... When you hear 192,000 acres, its sounds like a lot, when it takes you close to 45 minutes to lose sight of the scar on just a perimeter, it makes you realize how big that really is. And when you realize you are seeing but a fraction of it, its overwhelming.  Mt. Ord got cremated, but it appears the burn back was successful in saving the towers and some vegetation at the top.  You can see where it started with the car fire on the southbound just south of the Bush Highway.  It burned up the west side, jumped into the median, and then jumped to the east side and never slowed.  The loss of wildlife and habitat is depressing.    It will be a long time before it heals itself.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I remember when the Mazatzals burned. It took a long time to green up but the habitat that was there will never come back as it was. A few spot fires are ok but fires like this destroy everything.

I drove it all along Rosi and down 87 yesterday too. Ya, the north side of Ord is completely obliterated. It went from impassible to a lunar landscape..

Any thoughts about what happens to Rosi when the monsoons wash all the ash and debris into the lake? Sure would hate to see the lake die too.. 

6 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

I drove it all along Rosi and down 87 yesterday too. Ya, the north side of Ord is completely obliterated. It went from impassible to a lunar landscape..

Any thoughts about what happens to Rosi when the monsoons wash all the ash and debris into the lake? Sure would hate to see the lake die too.. 

I'm not a biologist, but I do know what happened to the Black River when the ash ran in.   Lots of dead  creatures, including crawdads.   It will not be good in my opinion.  The erosion is going to be massive as well.  The wind was making it look like the fire was still smoldering as it blew ash across the desert.  It looked like some doomsday movie...

What about all the animals in the fires path? Did they go North or run across the creek into 23? Thinking lots of deer and bears where the fire went through? 

Just saw an article this morning that the tortoises could be in danger.  9 out of they had collared they found the tenth might be hiding deep in a burrow though.  

2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Just saw an article this morning that the tortoises could be in danger.  9 out of they had collared they found the tenth might be hiding deep in a burrow though.  

Found dead or alive?

Alive, they are worried about other ones not collared.   Seems to me though if 9 out of 10 were alive they like other animals know how to survive.  Hopefully they will be able to find food. Rains should be coming soon. 

Just drove past mile marker 232 southbound 87 (just north of Ord) and a double axle trailer just had a blowout and caused a brush fire on the west side of the highway.

We missed it in real time by less than a minute but the fire was moving fast, hope some resources are still around.

20200628_170956.jpg

20200628_170912.jpg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

Rosey will definitely suffer from it. Maybe all of the salt lakes. We will see.

With as thick as the north side of ord was, there's no stopping that. There wasn't a whole lot of deer on the north side anyway down in that thick crap.  I was glad to see the amount of green they did save. A lot of the fire seems spotty, which will be a good thing for cover. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CouesPursuit said:

Just drove past mile marker 232 southbound 87 (just north of Ord) and a double axle trailer just had a blowout and caused a brush fire on the west side of the highway.

We missed it in real time by less than a minute but the fire was moving fast, hope some resources are still around.

20200628_170956.jpg

20200628_170912.jpg

That can't be good.